Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing geometry Imate error

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
LOONYLEN
4878 Views, 5 Replies

Missing geometry Imate error

I have an Ipart that I'm using in a Sub - Iassembly. The Ipart has Imates that are geometry (feature) specific. When these features were turned off and on in the Ipart file (per different members), I would receive an error stating, "Imate geometry missing". I had to create feature specific Imate names and add them to the table so when the feature was excluded, the Imate was also excluded. This worked for my Ipart. No more errors.

I placed this Ipart into an Iassembly and placed (mated) the regular part (not Ipart) that had the matching Imate, I noticed when I exclude that part I receive an error stating, "Imate result missing Imate definition."

Is this error because the Imates are losing geometry in the Ipart, regular part, or is there another reason?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Len

Senior Designer/Cad Administrator
Inventor 2012, w/SP2
Vault Collaboration 2012
Dell Precision T3500, Intel Xeon CPU
W3680 @3.33GHz, 16.0 GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro, 64 Bit Edition
Version 2009, w/SP1
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
LOONYLEN
in reply to: LOONYLEN

I found the following in the wiki help.

An iMate placed in an iPart or iAssembly factory can be included in all members generated from the factory. On the iMates tab of the author dialog box, you can select properties of the iMate to include in members. For example, you can select its matching name or sequence number, and then stipulate whether it is used for individual members, as needed. Each selected property creates a column in the table.

The parts I've highlighted above seem to be what I would need. Especially the last highlighted section, "Then stipulate whether it is used for individual members, as needed."

How can I do this? Is this tool only available in Inventor 2011 and 2012?

I'm currently using Inventor 2010.

Please help.

Inventor 2012, w/SP2
Vault Collaboration 2012
Version 2009, w/SP1
Message 3 of 6
StevenFeng

INV2010, author editor dialog has the tab "iMate" too, you can add the properties of iMate, for example "MatchingName",

so you can create two columns for one iMate. One column is to set the MatchingName, another column include/exclude the iMate.

Message 4 of 6
LOONYLEN
in reply to: StevenFeng

I must be missing something.

Could you walk me through how I can add Imates to only certain members of a factory?

Currently I have the Imates on my Iparts and when I place both iparts into the Iassembly the Imates mate and create a regular mate in the Iassembly. If I then try to add those mates to my table and exclude or include them as needed, I receive the errors, "Imate result failed to compute. The local copy of geometry can not be updated." & "Imate result failed to find an Imate definition. Use edit to reselect the Imate definition.

I simply want 6 sizes (Of my iassembly) to have 1 clip, Imated to 1 hole, the other 6 sizes I want to "Turn off" the 1 clip and 1 hole and "Turn on" 2 other clips and 2 other holes.

When I do this, the Imates or resolved Imates just error out.

One part is an Ipart and the other is just a part. The Ipart has the Imates in it's table for including and excluding. When a member is placed into the Iassembly and changed to different members the Imates that are excluded in the Ipart table do not show up in the Iassembly.

The other part is a regular part with all of the Imates included for the 1 clip position and the 2 clip position. Do you think it is these Imates that are going belly up?

Len

Inventor 2012, w/SP2
Vault Collaboration 2012
Version 2009, w/SP1
Message 5 of 6
StevenFeng

Hi Len,

Please see the attach image about where to add the property of iMate.

and I tried one simplest dataset about "error out"

1 one iAssembly

2 one iPart with iMate

3 Place two iPart instances into the iAssmbly and get a regular mate constraint

4 Exclude/Include the mate constraint

but I don't see the issue.

Could you please post your dataset or only image so that I can reproduce the issue?

Thanks,

Message 6 of 6
LOONYLEN
in reply to: StevenFeng

Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I've already spoken with Steven Dennis at Autodesk. I've sent this issue to him with a detailed analysis, models containing/illustrating the error, and a few suggestions to correct the issue. I believe Steven Dennis has forwarded this issue to the Autodesk "imate Guru's". I am awaiting a reply, as to what will be done to correct the Bug I found. You can read the posts here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/HUGE-IMATE-BUG/td-p/3132056

Thanks,

Len

Inventor 2012, w/SP2
Vault Collaboration 2012
Version 2009, w/SP1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report