Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirrored section view...

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
LuckyMB
2684 Views, 10 Replies

Mirrored section view...

Good morning,

This is my first post here therefire I'd like to say hello to everyone.

Now, to my problem.

I have an assembly constrained to the building. The building has two corridors, south and north.

The problem is I need a secion of north corridor looking at south. But when I do this, I have everything "upside down" (I'm using 3rd angle projection). I can brake this section and rotate it by 180 deg but this is not a viable solution as I want to macth building arrangements in plan and mentioned section, so virtually I need to "mirror" this rotated section (or use 1st angle projection) just for this one section.

Is there any way to do it?

Thanks,

Luke

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: LuckyMB

Hi Luke,

Welcome to the forum.

Based on what you are describing, even with 3rd angle projection should not give you the results you are saying.

I think I am correct in assuming that when you say "mirrored section view" in your title you are talking about what you are seeing versus actually mirrong the assembly.  Can you post some images of what you are seeing?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 11
LuckyMB
in reply to: Cadmanto

I appologise for my poor English and explonations ;).

I've attached a figure (it's not the real thing, just an example model), hopefully this will explain what I'm after. I've also attached a file to play with.

On the leaft side is what I get "naturally". On the right hand side is similar thing but I've rotated section D by 180 deg so the floor is not in ceiling's place. However the notch, visible on plan, on Section D goes to right, whereas I'd like to "keep" it on the left.

Cheers,

Luke

Message 4 of 11
VdVeek

What you want to do is against "drawing rules". That's why inventor won't let you do it. What's wrong with your section D-D? Why do you want to mirror the view?

Rob.

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional & Autodesk Inventor 2012 Certified Professional.
Message 5 of 11
Cadmanto

Your English is fine.

Looking at the image what the natural section D-D is giving you is the correct 3rd angle projection.

You are trying to make it a first angle projection which is un-natural with a third angle projection.

Unfortunately with that you are trying to do, you are going to have to continue doing what you are doing

if that is what you truly want.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 11
LuckyMB
in reply to: VdVeek

It's called "boss told me to do so" Smiley Very Happy

We're re-doing drawings using Inventor (we've got 2D Autocad drawings). As this is another modification/revision we want to keep them the same way as someone produced them before.

Message 7 of 11
LuckyMB

Cheers Cadmanto. I've just explained my LM I can;t give him what he wants Smiley Wink.

Anyway - thanks guys for your responses.

Message 8 of 11
Cadmanto

I get it.  That is one problem going from the 2D world into 3D.  What you were able to fudge in 2D doesn't necessarily work when it comes to 3D without jumping through some hoops.  Smiley Sad

But like you said, the boss told you to do it this way and like the old saying goes...The boss is always right.  If the boss is wrong refer to rule number one!!!!  Smiley LOL

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated.  Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 11
nannerdw

Take the view created by the section command and move it outside of the printable paper area.

Then place a new view, create a sketch within that view consisting of a rectangle surrounding the whole part, and use the Break Out command to create the "fake" section view.  I'd put a note on that section view to show that it's rotated, or put an "Up" arrow on it or something, since this does go against the standard for 3rd angle projection.

I think the proper way, though, would be to add a side view, and section off of that.

Message 10 of 11
Leanderjk

Well rotating the sectioned view manually isn't that big of a deal is it?

Section B-B is the correct way of viewing the object from north to south, if you need the view to be mirrored it wouldn't be the correct way of viewing this side.

Regards, Leander

------------------------------
Work: Autodesk Inventor 2010
Home: Autodesk Inventor 2013
Message 11 of 11
nannerdw
in reply to: Leanderjk

@Leanderjk wrote:

Well rotating the sectioned view manually isn't that big of a deal is it?

Yeah, that works better.

Also, to the OP: Showing the section view as being mirrored from the actual part is a really bad idea.

That doesn't just violate third angle projection; it's an incorrect representation of the actual part.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report