Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror but delete original

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
tmccar
28078 Views, 21 Replies

Mirror but delete original

How can I mirror an extrusion, and delete the original (i.e.be left with just the mirrored part?)

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
bcrowell
in reply to: tmccar

Can you edit the original feature and simply change the direction of it?

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
Message 3 of 22
tmccar
in reply to: bcrowell

Yes I could probably do that - it's just that it was a fairly difficult
shape to create.
Message 4 of 22
bcrowell

Are you familiar with Deriving parts?

Another possible option is to derive the component and select the mirror option, which will give you a mirrored copy of the part.

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
Message 5 of 22
-niels-

Are you mirroring a single feature or the entire solid?

If you are mirroring the entire solid then there is an option to delete the original in the mirror function.

Mirror_delete_original.png

Otherwise bcrowell's suggestions are the way to go.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 6 of 22
tmccar
in reply to: bcrowell

I tried that - it asked for a new part (file) name. I then created a blank
part and entered that in the derive command. But all of the items seem to
be disabled (greyed out) when I try to run it
Message 7 of 22
JDMather

Attach your ipt file here.

Based on the previous part you attached here - I suspect there is almost certainly an easier (better) way to do what you want.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 22
tmccar
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JD

In the attached .ipt file, there are 2 sets of 3 cylinders in a circular pattern, an inner and an outer. Both are mirrored, but I want to have the inner ones on one side and the outer 3 on the other side. At the moment, if I delete one set it also deletes its mirror image on the other side.

Message 9 of 22
JDMather

You are still not modeling like the real world.

Everything above the Mirror feature is one solid body where it appears to me it should be multiple solids (multiple parts in the real world).

I will try to post an example in a little while.

In the meantime I recommend that you check to see if there are any Service Packs for Inventor LT.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 10 of 22
JDMather

Pull down the red End of Part marker in the browser step-by-step.

Note that all (3) sketches are fully constrained.

Note that there are no extra workplanes needed and no extra axis needed.

EESignature

Message 11 of 22
tmccar

Ok, I'm trying to model with multiple solids by selecting "new solid" when I extrude.  But one thing I have noticed is - when I make a new solid in this way, If I then want to modify the new solid and create a 2D sketch on one of the new solid's faces, the profile I create will not extrude. It will work fine on the first solid.

Am I missing something like "make the new solid active" so that I can extrude from it?

Message 12 of 22
JDMather

There should be a tool to select Solid to add the new feature to your existing feature. (in the Extrude dialog box).

Post screen captures.

Post files.

EESignature

Message 13 of 22
tmccar

That was it - many thanks
Message 14 of 22
JDMather

Another tip is to expand the Solid Bodies folder and right click and turn off Visibility of solids you are not working on, then you don't have to tell Inventor which solid to edit.

EESignature

Message 15 of 22
mrossi

Hi everybody!
i have a similar problem. I need to reverse an engrave Text on a face. There is no option to remove the original features when i mirror an individual feature.
Does anyone found a solution? Why Autodesk does not think that the same option in solid mirror will be fine also for single feature mirror?

Message 16 of 22
JDMather
in reply to: mrossi

I think I would Flip Normal on the sketch workplane - then the mirror wouldn't be necessary.

EESignature

Message 17 of 22
mrossi

Thanks JD

yes, I tryed to do that. But is impossible to mirror a text in the sketch... I'm looking for some workaround that was not the mirror.

Message 18 of 22
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks JD

yes, I tryed to do that. But is impossible to mirror a text in the sketch... .....

I don't think I would have made the suggestion if it wasn't possible.

Attach your part file here.

I have to run for a bit of time, if you had attached your file with original post you would already have solution.

Back in a bit.

EESignature

Message 19 of 22
mrossi

Hi JD, for obvious reason I can't attached the original file. It's not my property. I'm looking for a solution for one of my customer.
You can replicate the problem by a simply extrusion and making an engraved text. Remember I need to mirror only the engraved text. For example text ABCD become DCBA ( write the mirrored text is not a good solution, is more complex than this) the rest of solid body must be unchanged.

Message 20 of 22
-niels-

Not sure if this is a solution, since i'm not using mirror, but if you put the sketch on the other side of the part and then use the "wrap to face" function to put it on the side you want it to display you also get it mirrored...

(see attached)

Hope that makes sense...

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report