Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrated ver2008 part crashes IV2014 Pro

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Dickerson2012
774 Views, 16 Replies

Migrated ver2008 part crashes IV2014 Pro

I have a basic part that the first extrusion feature appears to be corrupt. The part was made with IV 2008 (currently running 2014) and cannot accept updating the feature or rolling the EOP back to the orgin planes. you can modify the parameters via the API but when it Updates  - CRASH.  My concern is that I may have alot of IV 2008 data that is corrupt at some point.

Any ideas welcome.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
CESAR200
in reply to: Dickerson2012

Hello Dickerson2012,

Migrating your files from 2008 directly to 2014 can bring problems like the one you are experiencing.  The recommended migration process includes migrating first to an intermediate file format (2008 > 2010 > 2014).  Please read the "Migration FAQ's" in the link below:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-E49FED2F-9088-488E-84E0-F7BAB4910DD7

There ia also a complete "Data Migration" section in the online help that could be useful:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-FB9B4422-2348-46FA-964B-7845D9D96018

I hope this helps.

Cesar Valencia
Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 17
Dickerson2012
in reply to: CESAR200

How is it possible to migrate 2008 data if no seat of 2010 is available?
Message 4 of 17
blair

If you could find an old 2010 version to download, you could use the 30 days demo feature to migrate the files.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 17
swalton
in reply to: CESAR200

We are about to go from IV 2012 to IV 2014.  We have files in the IV 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 formats. 

I don't want to move all files up to 2012 before the migration unless I have to.  What versions should I migrate to 2012 before migrating to 2014? 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 17
blair
in reply to: swalton

ADSK doesn't like to migrate more than 3 releases.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 17
swalton
in reply to: blair

Blair,

I take that to mean that IV 2014 will migrate 2013, 2012 and 2011 with no issues and that 2010 and earlier may or may not come in clean.  Is that correct? 

If so, it looks like I need to move everything from 2008, 2009, and 2010 to 2012. Should I re-install 2011 for the 2008 files?

Is the 3 previous release file migration requirement published anywhere?  My reseller does not seem to believe it.

Steve Walton
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 8 of 17
blair

Yes, that is correct.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 17
Dickerson2012
in reply to: blair

I cannot confirm that this works. I find it unreasonable that a engineering firm with at a min of 1TB in project data in the form various releases of IV from V11 (NOT 2011) to 2014 would be expected to migrate all of the project data every release.

Message 10 of 17
scottmoyse

@Dickerson2012 wrote:

I cannot confirm that this works. I find it unreasonable that a engineering firm with at a min of 1TB in project data in the form various releases of IV from V11 (NOT 2011) to 2014 would be expected to migrate all of the project data every release.

and this is made so much worse when all that data is stored in Vault.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 11 of 17
swalton

It is great that each file migration makes a new version in the filestore. Just what we needed to add to the daily backup filesize... 

I wouldn't mind some sort of option to just migrate in place without making new versions.

Steve Walton

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 12 of 17
scottmoyse

@swalton wrote:

It is great that each file migration makes a new version in the filestore. Just what we needed to add to the daily backup filesize... 

I wouldn't mind some sort of option to just migrate in place without making new versions.

thats a minor issue IMO. Especially now they removed the need to create a new filestore version for metadata only changes.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 13 of 17
Dickerson2012
in reply to: scottmoyse

The point that I was driving at was not directed at Vault. Rather legacy ( older that 3 or 4 releases ? ) project data "Invalidated" or "Corrupted" by newer versions, if that is the case. To my point, has the internal data structure really changed all that much from V11 to 2014 as not to allow a direct path of migration without data / functionality loss?

Regards,

Nathaniel

Message 14 of 17
scottmoyse

@Dickerson2012 wrote:

The point that I was driving at was not directed at Vault. Rather legacy ( older that 3 or 4 releases ? ) project data "Invalidated" or "Corrupted" by newer versions, if that is the case. To my point, has the internal data structure really changed all that much from V11 to 2014 as not to allow a direct path of migration without data / functionality loss?

Regards,

Nathaniel

I understand you weren't directing it at Vault. But I was adding weight to it by stating it's worse when you are using Vault.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 15 of 17
Dickerson2012

Thank you sir.

Message 16 of 17
swalton

Nathaniel,

Sorry for the thread hijack with the Vault issues.  As Scott said, Vault adds complexity to migration jobs.

The main issue for this thread is that old IV files need a way to be opened by current releases without corruption issues. If that is not posible, we need clear guidence from Autodesk about which Inventor version will open which files.  This should be part of the release notes, What's New documents and help files for each version.  That way users can make an informed decision about how and when to migrate files to avoid issues while balancing the storage and time requirements for migration jobs.

Could a "super migration tool" be part of subscription benifits?  

Steve Walton

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 17 of 17
Dickerson2012

I have attached two pieces of data that are listed as made with 2008 and updated with 2014 ( the same as post - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Error-and-Crash-when-making-Changes-to-Threads/td-p/4...

Exhibit-A-Crash.ipt ( CER_90216705 ) crashes inventor when you modify the parameters of the feature.

Exhibit-B-StringToLong.ipt produces a "String to Long" error message and causes IV2014 to become unstable when you modify the HoleFeatue ( See Attached Image )

If anyone can add weight to this by confirming that these produce the errors I would appreciate it.

-Nathaniel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report