Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midplanes in assemblies

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
chipwitch2
3390 Views, 22 Replies

Midplanes in assemblies

I'm a little confused.  After reading the documentation for IV 2013, I'm not sure if it's possible to create a midplane between parallel faces of two different parts or not.  I've tried using the workplane buttons in both the 3D Model and the Assembly tabs with no joy.

Can someone please clarify?

Thank you.

Product Design Suite 2013 Ultimate
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
SBix26
in reply to: riveter1000

I just tried using the symmetry constraint with your assembly, and it works as you would expect.

- Delete your Mid Plane Driving Sketch

- Delete the flush constraint between the Mid Plane - Stays in Middle plane & Bracket, Outer (Flush:5)

- Create a symmetry constraint, picking the two end tabs and then the work plane

Now it works as you want, at least if I read your posts correctly.  I've attached just the assembly file (since the parts didn't change).

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Inventor Professional 2015 Update 1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 22 of 23
riveter1000
in reply to: SBix26

@sbixler wrote:

I just tried using the symmetry constraint with your assembly, and it works as you would expect.

- Delete your Mid Plane Driving Sketch

- Delete the flush constraint between the Mid Plane - Stays in Middle plane & Bracket, Outer (Flush:5)

- Create a symmetry constraint, picking the two end tabs and then the work plane

Now it works as you want, at least if I read your posts correctly.  I've attached just the assembly file (since the parts didn't change).

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

That works great. I was not picking in the correct order before.

Thank Sam B

Mark

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1

System Specs:
Dell Precision M6800
CPU Intel I7-4600M
RAM 16 GB
Graphics Nvidia Quadro K5100M
Message 23 of 23
johnsonshiue
in reply to: chipwitch2

Hi! Like Robert has already mentioned, the ability to create assembly-level mid workplane is not supported in R2013. Please note that in Inventor workplanes (or workaxes or workpoints) work differently in assembly than in part. In assembly, work geometry is considered a component, subject to assembly constraints, while in part, work geometry is a feature. There has been some confusion due to the difference.

In R2014, Symmetric constraint is added to assembly. Now two faces from two different components can be constrained symmetrically along the selected plane or planar face.. In R2015, the mid-plane workplane in assembly is added.

Like I said earlier, assembly work feature is considered a component as opposed to a feature. As a result, a mid-plane in assembly cannot be created on two faces belonging to the same component.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report