Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh Error:Body Failure help

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
christaylor92
5241 Views, 6 Replies

Mesh Error:Body Failure help

I have made a basic truss made up of squarebased pyramids. However when i try and conduct a stress analysis on it it comes up with the error "Mesh Error:Body Failure", and does not give me any pointers as how to resolve the problem. Anyone else know how to overcome this?
During the analyis it also gives the following warnings:

[Simulation:1] One or more bodies which are thin being treated as solids:

NameOfFile

Certain parts of the model are extremely thin, which can lead to long meshing/solution times and numerical instabilities in the results. Please use careful judgement when interpreting the results.

Body 'NameOfFile' is thin.

Thanks, unfortunately the file is too large to attach

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
LT.Rusty
in reply to: christaylor92

@christaylor92 wrote:

I have made a basic truss made up of squarebased pyramids. However when i try and conduct a stress analysis on it it comes up with the error "Mesh Error:Body Failure", and does not give me any pointers as how to resolve the problem. Anyone else know how to overcome this?
During the analyis it also gives the following warnings:

[Simulation:1] One or more bodies which are thin being treated as solids:

NameOfFile

Certain parts of the model are extremely thin, which can lead to long meshing/solution times and numerical instabilities in the results. Please use careful judgement when interpreting the results.

Body 'NameOfFile' is thin.

Inventor's FEA can look at thin bodies and solids in different ways.  I haven't really played with the thin body thing a whole lot yet - very few of my parts would really make use of it - so unfortunately I can't really help you out much on that side of things.  In general though, whenever the length & width are vastly out of proportion to the thickness of a solid object, Inventor will not give great results when doing the analysis.  Thus, the thin-body stuff was added to address that problem.

As far as the mesh error ... it sounds like you've got welds probably involved?  Take a look at the way your weld beads intersect.  That's usually - for me - where mesh errors come in.  I'll have a couple of weld beads that intersect in strange ways, leaving me wth something that looks like an angry octopus in a corner somewhere, and then Inventor will refuse to mesh it.  I can usually suppress a weld or change an offset or something and clear that up.

If it's not in a weld - and you really should post at least a screenshot to show where the mesh error is - then it might be something that's just modeled in a weird or  complicated way, and Inventor is having trouble interpreting it.  I've come across that a few tiems as well, where someone used a complicated series of lofts or sweeps to do something that could have been managed in a much simpler way, and some face intersection caused Inventor to barf on it when it came time to mesh.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
JDMather

@christaylor92 wrote:

Find the red End of Part marker at the bottom of the feature tree (is this an assembly or a part)?
Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file in this rolled up state.

In Windows Explorer right click on the filename and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here

Did you mention what version of Inventor you are using?

At least a screen capture?

As I started reading the description I was thinking Frame Analysis, but would need to see at least a picture.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
christaylor92
in reply to: JDMather

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. However I still had trouble compressing the file into below 1.5mb. Please find attached an image of the structure. It is 24m long and made from thin steel piping. I am a novice with autodesk inventor, so it is not welded just constructed as one component.

Message 5 of 7
JDMather

You should use Frame Generator to create that assembly and then the Frame Analysis.

There are several tutorials covering these topics under Help>Learning Tools>Tutorials.

If I get a chance later today I will post an example.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
christaylor92
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I don't think I have any welds involved with my frame. I think it may be because of the complicated shape. All the piping, besides the 3 parallel sections at the corners of the triangle, where sweeped rather than extruded so perhaps this could be the case.

Message 7 of 7
LT.Rusty

You should definitely be using Frame Generator to make that.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report