Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
CAD-One
626 Views, 6 Replies

Measure

Can we use measure tool without having to open the part file?

Say directly in the viewer or in vault viewer.

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: CAD-One

Don't use vault but the Inventor Viewer does NOT include measurement capabilities (I'd suspect the Vault one doesn't either).. But Design Review does. (of course that also requires DWF files to be created.)

Autodesk has done this simply to increase sales of their products. No matter what they say. 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
CAD-One
in reply to: mcgyvr

I totally agree with you. Why keep 2 kinds of viwers. merge them & keep one.

Whats the point in simply looking at a 3dmodel in a viewer. one should be ble to measure too.Measure wouldnt modify nothing. So should be encouraged to have it in viewer.

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 4 of 7
bobvdd

There is an Apprentice sample app that is delivered as part of the SDK folder and that has measuring capabilities.

It is a pretty crude viewer (you can rotate but not zoom Smiley Sad)  but we offer the source code so you can always enhance it if you have C++ skills.

To get the app when you have already Inventor installedp, you have to install thedeveloper tools

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\SDK\DeveloperTools.msi

Once the developer tools are installed, you can access the app in this default location

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\SDK\DeveloperTools\Samples\VC++\Standalone Applications\ApprenticeServer\CurvatureApp

Because the app  uses the Apprentice API you can install and run the app on any machine that has the Inventor viewer product  installed and you don't need an Inventor license.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 5 of 7
JOHNHUSTINGS8562

eDrawings  2013 for Inventor from SolidWorks 2013 will open inventor files and it has a measure tool. We are having the same problem and are going to use the SolidWorks solution. But it is not free. Infact, it is expensive but it is cheaper than full copies of Inventor just so people can measure and less hassle than creating DWF files to open in Design Review. Competition is good. If enough people tell their vendors that they are using the competitions products to fill a gap left by Autodesk, then maybe Autodesk will step up. They are a business... I don't give what I do away for free.

Message 6 of 7
deondres034
in reply to: bobvdd

I use Inventor 14. When I try to install developer tools it says "Could not find any version of microsoft visual studio." How would I try out the Apprentice app using my version?

Message 7 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: deondres034

@deondres034 wrote:

I use Inventor 14. When I try to install developer tools it says "Could not find any version of microsoft visual studio." How would I try out the Apprentice app using my version?

One might deduce that you would need to install Visual Studio...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums