Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe everyone already knew this, but.....

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
karthur1
544 Views, 10 Replies

Maybe everyone already knew this, but.....

Something I just ran across.  I can see it saving me time/frustration when working with parameters.

When you want to enter a parameter based on an existing parameter. I only knew of a couple ways of doing it..

1. Enter it manually if you know the parametere name (d1, d10... etc.)

2. Click the drop-down and select it from a list.

Or,

Just pick it from the graphics window and it will place it in the equation column.  You dont even have to be in a sketch as long as the sketch is visible, you can pick it.  See this video.

Maybe old news, but I never knew this.

Kirk A.

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
Intel i7-930 @ 3.60ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2013, SP2
Vault Basic 2013, SP1

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

New to me as well. Smiley Happy Thanks for sharing!

Message 3 of 11
rdyson
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

That was one of the first thing I discover when I switched from MDT to IV

PDSU 2016
Message 4 of 11
blair
in reply to: rdyson

What, you mean I don't have to remember all 996 parameters in my head. This most likely means a cut in pay as a lessor person will be able to do it!

Dang!

Smiley Very Happy

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 11
freegoodkharma
in reply to: karthur1

Where did you run across that?  Most excellent!  How do you get the red end points on your Draw panel buttons and Project Geometry button projections on your Ribbon.

Thank you.

Yours truly,

Carl T.

Message 6 of 11
karthur1
in reply to: freegoodkharma

@freegoodkharma wrote:

Where did you run across that?  Most excellent!  How do you get the red end points on your Draw panel buttons and Project Geometry button projections on your Ribbon.

Thank you.

Yours truly,

Carl T.

Carl,

I am using the "Amber Icon Color Theme".  If you are using the "Cobalt" theme, the icons will be a different color.  I think it is Cobalt by default, but you can change it.  Go to the Tools>Application options, Color tab.

The "Project Geometry" is part of the draw panel.  That is just the way it shows.

Kirk

Message 7 of 11
cbenner
Message 8 of 11
QuasiMojo
in reply to: cbenner

Nice find. I'll have to try it out. 
What I'd really like is a way to have (some/all) my parameters listed in a docked panel off to the side instead of having to pull up that window every time.  I'd even settle for an 'auto-fill' where the dimension box offers me the reduced subset of parameters I have as I type (like every search engine or programming utility does).

Hey Master Curtis: could that be done as an add-in?

Message 9 of 11
graemev

You can do much the same any time you're entering a dimension value, including mid-equation.

Message 10 of 11
mrattray
in reply to: QuasiMojo

I think it may be rather simple to write an add-in that lists all parameters in a copy/pastable format that floats around...
Making it fancy enough to allow clicking it and having it pop right in is outside of expertise though.
I do really like your idea, though. Perhaps post it on the Idea Station? I'm imagining a "parameters folder" available in the standard browser window...
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 11
QuasiMojo
in reply to: mrattray

Here's the link to the IdeaStation

Please do add your thoughts, I'm not sure what you had in mind with the 'parameters folder' but I'd like to hear more.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report