Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material definition without some physical properties

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
253 Views, 4 Replies

Material definition without some physical properties

Hi all,

I have duplicate a material from the Inventor material library and I am now in the process of modifying also the physical material properties.

It turns out that I have no all the physical properties required, so I was trying to remove the "Thermal Conductivity" one, but it looks that Inventor does not allow me to do that: I can modify it, but I cannot remove it.

Am I right or there is a way to remove some properties from the material description ?

Thank you very much,

Luca.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't believe there is any way to remove the physical properties, they are required for simulations.

Message 3 of 5
admaiora

Hi Luca,

you can't remove material properties.

And it s correct. A material is defined by its properties, like density, or young modulus, etc.

If you don't have the Thermal Conductivity.just leave the defualt one, not big issue for your project or analysis (in Inventor)

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: admaiora

The issue using the default one is that in the future and in case of need, I will never be sure that the entered properties are correct, because at that time I'll have forget why I entered that specific value.

For a structural simulation, thermal conductivity is not required, and so it would be great not to be forced to use an incorrect value.

Anyway, thank you very much for your answer and for your confirm.

Regards,

Luca.

Message 5 of 5
LT.Rusty

The thermal conductivity property is completely irrelevant to Inventor. It only matters if you're using one of the Inventor materials in a model that you're going to use with Sim Mech or something else. (Even then, I tend to send the model over and then apply a material from Sim Mech instead of using the Inventor ones. Not sure that it makes a difference, but I do it mostly because I don't always remember if I've messed around with the Inventor material.)

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report