Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Matching threads

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
napacaldog
2792 Views, 13 Replies

Matching threads

Hello,
I've been trying to figure out how to make the threads match on a male and female part. Using a tap size chart, I made a hole 31.5 mm in diameter. Then I added interior threads with a tap size M33 x1.5. How do I determine the diameter of the male part before adding threads? Would it also be 31.5 mm? I plan on 3d printing these parts, so I've also been using the thread modeler tool. Any help would be appreciated. I do not have experience with taps and dies. Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Paul-Mason
in reply to: napacaldog

An M33 is a Metric Coarse Thread with a Pitch of 3.5mm Core Dia of 27.706mm Thread Depth 2.1470 Tapping Drill of 26.5mm Clearance of 33.5mm Not a Metric Fine as you seem to be indicating but even then there is is NOT a Metric Fine or Metric Standard thread of 33mm with the pitch of  1.5mm

The nearest M Fine is 30mm, Pitch 2mm Core 32.319mm Tapping Drill of 32.75mm

ALL size are taken From the UK issue of Zuse Data Charts, a copy of these data charts has been posted here https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=30A7361EF9C3AE77&id=30A7361EF9C3AE77%21496

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 3 of 14
josh92brown
in reply to: Paul-Mason

Just answerthe stupuid question i have been trying to figure this out forever. We just want to know if an 8mm hole threaded with the reccomended metric thread will align with a 8mm rod with its own reccomended metric thread. Or if sizing of either holed needs to be adjusted for a proper fit. 

please

Message 4 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: josh92brown

@josh92brown wrote:

...We just want to know if an 8mm hole... ...will align with a 8mm rod with its own reccomended metric thread. .

An 8mm rod with pass through an 8mm hole - no thread engagement.

Can you attach your files here - I can demonstrate proper thread fit.

(indicate your manufacturing process)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
josh92brown
in reply to: JDMather

Ok so the hole need to be smaller the the 8mm rod for "thread engagement"?
Ok i will attach my files. fyi the parts will be milled. 😉

I will leave the parts not threaded, but will leave the holes on the
"hanger" part. were the "axel" needs to fit. Please note that the axel
needs 10mm of thread length on each ends. The short end is where it fits
into the "hanger". They are long-board trucks
Message 6 of 14
IgorMir

Hi Paul,

It is not exactly true. The standard fine pitch for the M33 thread goes for 3 mm, 2 mm, 1.5 mm 1 mm and 0.75 mm.

Here is a quick link to a table showing M33 x 1.5 thread definition. http://mdmetric.com/tech/thddat4.htm

If need be - I can spend some more time on the net and find a Standard which defines all of them.

Regards,

Igor.

@Paul-Mason wrote:

An M33 is a Metric Coarse Thread with a Pitch of 3.5mm Core Dia of 27.706mm Thread Depth 2.1470 Tapping Drill of 26.5mm Clearance of 33.5mm Not a Metric Fine as you seem to be indicating but even then there is is NOT a Metric Fine or Metric Standard thread of 33mm with the pitch of  1.5mm

The nearest M Fine is 30mm, Pitch 2mm Core 32.319mm Tapping Drill of 32.75mm

ALL size are taken From the UK issue of Zuse Data Charts, a copy of these data charts has been posted here https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=30A7361EF9C3AE77&id=30A7361EF9C3AE77%21496

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 7 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: IgorMir

Typically one might look at a thread chart that shows a min and max diameter.

example...http://www.engineersedge.com/screw_threads_chart.htm

http://www.pencomsf.com/screws-categories/screw-design-guide/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

Typically one might look at a thread chart ....

Old-timers keep a Machinery's Handbook reference nearby.

The question arises though, if these are going to be milled (turned?) are modeled threads really needed.  I would normally use cosmetic threads and specify the nomenclature on the drawing.  The only time I model threads is when it is a particularly large part (not a standard fastener) or if I am going to 3D print.  3D printing involves special considerations - which is why I asked about the manufacturing process.

In any case, I don't see the promised part file attachments.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

@mcgyvr wrote:

Typically one might look at a thread chart ....

Old-timers keep a Machinery's Handbook reference nearby.

I actually wrote that the Machinery's Handbook is a great reference to have on hand but then thought these youngsters would want a link to something on the internet.  I love that book and use it all the time.. Still using the 24th edition here.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 10 of 14
JDMather

@mcgyvr wrote:
@mcgyvr wrote:

...these youngsters would want a link to something on the internet.  I love that book ...

Book? What is this artifact that you refer to as "book".

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

@mcgyvr wrote:
@mcgyvr wrote:

...these youngsters would want a link to something on the internet.  I love that book ...

Book? What is this artifact that you refer to as "book".

I've actually got the 11th edition too from 1942 in pristine condition.. I wonder if its worth anything..  (edit.. nope.. looks like its going for $10 to $65 or so on ebay)

Message 12 of 14
rdyson

This might be of interest to some:

http://www.brokenbolt.com/images/starrett-inch-metric-tap-drill.pdf

PDSU 2016
Message 13 of 14
Paul-Mason

DUH read the charts that I posted the link to

THEY TELL YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW.

Look for M8 in "METRIC COARSE THREADS" for the tapping drill this is 6.8mm OR on the page headed I.S.O and I.S.O METRIC FINE THREADS IN M.M where the M8 FINE tapping drill is 7mm then IF you bothered to look on  the page HEADED STANDARD DRILL SIZES AND DECIMAL EQUIVALENTS  17/64 inch nearest drill for M8 coarse and 9/32 nearest size drill for M8 fine

SIMPLES as Alexander Meercat would say

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 14 of 14
mcgyvr

@Paul-Mason wrote:

DUH read the charts that I posted the link to

yeah right after you create a microsoft account and sign in.. no thanks 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report