Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making Variable extrude length automatically

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
kelaog
2841 Views, 3 Replies

Making Variable extrude length automatically

Hello all, I work for a crane company and I've been tasked with transforming our 3d library from autocad into inventor using iParts.

I have a 2 year engineering diploma(going for my degree in sept) but obviously we didn't learn much (none) about iParts.

So here is my question--after a brief intro-- I'm currently designing a sling, typically the length of a sling is designated from the bearing contact areas from one to the other. I want to drop an assembly into a drawing and have the eye length variable (easy enough) from the other end (easy enough) I want to space them apart using the rope_length variable (easy enough) and then have the wire between the two automatically generated (this is tricky)

I'm not exactly how to have the rope (in blue) extrude to the next surface (opposing ferule). Currently the assembly consits of the sling eye with data extracted from a table, and another instance of the same sling eye so that you can change them. But as soon as I change the distance the rope becomes too short and looks like shown. I want the rope distance to automatically extend as soon as the sling eyes move farther apart from each other.

Let me know if you can help,

Regards,

Andrew.

PS: has anyone found out how to get around the tangent offset constraint not working in 2012??? 😞

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
kelaog
in reply to: kelaog

Let me clarify,

I have imates on the wire part. When I place the part I want the length of the extrusion to be determined by the insert imates....

Message 3 of 4
kelaog

I figured it out using VBA. I guess I'll have to learn more about it. The only thing I want it to do better is update the model faster to reflect the changes.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/2144-Tutorial2144/2145-Inventor2145/2345-iLogic_...

Message 4 of 4
PaulMunford

You could look into using Skeletal modelling or Master part modeling, or use an adaptive component.

I put this post together on the different techniques. It's aimed at woodworkers, but I'm sure that you will be able to find wwhat you need.

http://cadsetterout.com/inventor-tutorials/assembly-techniques-for-woodworkers/

Finally, if this doesn't suit you could also use iLogic as an alternative to VBA.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report