Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making STP files without Inventor

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Doug_DuPont
265 Views, 6 Replies

Making STP files without Inventor

Is there a program that can make stp files from our inventor models? Our purchasing department wants to do this task for our vendors and they don't want in have a full version of Inventor to do it.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

Free Inventor Fusion?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
patrickberry

Have you considered building a task in Inventor to have your existing seats automatically generate step versions of all your files after hours?

Patrick

Message 4 of 7
Doug_DuPont
in reply to: patrickberry

We don't stp out a lot of models. Just 10-20 a week. I should have thought of Fusion in the first place. It's not bad if all your doing is opening and stp out files. I will have purchasing give it a try.

Douglas DuPont
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 5 of 7

My concern is who's checking these models they are sending out.  STEP works pretty well, but what happens if it doesn't?

Just a thought.  I'm interested in hearing how it works out.

-Brian Cranston

Message 6 of 7

All of our models gets drawings made of them and get send with the stp files. The vendors are required to meet the drawing specification for us to accept.

Douglas DuPont
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 7 of 7
mcgyvr

@Doug_DuPont wrote:

All of our models gets drawings made of them and get send with the stp files. The vendors are required to meet the drawing specification for us to accept.

Us too.. I just save copy as to step from the model when I finish/release the drawing. Takes a few seconds and not something I would trust to anyone.. but I'm goofy about that.

I'd think someone could easily write a macro to do this in 1 click of a button though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report