Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making Holes In Assembly Doesn't show up In Drawing???

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
198 Views, 8 Replies

Making Holes In Assembly Doesn't show up In Drawing???

I've made a hole through 2 parts in assembly; now I try to detail the part and for some reason the hole doesn't come through; did I do something wrong??? Is this just the way Inventor works? If so that feature is pretty useless...... Dan R.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey Dan, The assembly features only exist at the Assembly level so they will only be shown in views of the assy. -- Regards, Jason Ruge Inventor QA Autodesk, Inc. "Dan Reynolds" wrote in message news:40fbd050_2@newsprd01... > I've made a hole through 2 parts in assembly; now I try to detail the part > and for some reason the hole doesn't come through; did I do something > wrong??? Is this just the way Inventor works? If so that feature is pretty > useless...... > > Dan R. > >
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Jason & Dan,

In other words does that mean Dan will have to create the feature(s) on the part(s) in order to have them revealed in the assembly?
I have experienced the same as Dan, a missing feature in one of my .idw of a .ipt that was verified as a feature on the part. I do not know why this happens, what can be done to avoid this from happening again?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Jack and Jason, This is an odd workflow and I would be shocked if this is 'as designed'. This would only be useful in an assembly drawing, but what about those of us that would like to use this feature for piece drawings? I like the fact that I can create holes (and cutouts) in the context of an assembly due to the fact that whenever you have a bolt hole in a part you will always have a mating hole on another part for the original piece to bolt to. It makes alot of sense in my mind to do it at the assembly level because you can create both holes in one step instead of two. My 2 cents. Dan R.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Some (including myself) have suggested that assembly features should allow the choice of having being seen in context of assembly only or at part level. I haven't got IV9 yet, but maybe someone can tell us if this is possible now. -- Rui "Dan Reynolds" wrote in message news:40fc1957_1@newsprd01... > Jack and Jason, > > This is an odd workflow and I would be shocked if this is 'as designed'. > This would only be useful in an assembly drawing, but what about those of us > that would like to use this feature for piece drawings? I like the fact > that I can create holes (and cutouts) in the context of an assembly due to > the fact that whenever you have a bolt hole in a part you will always have a > mating hole on another part for the original piece to bolt to. It makes > alot of sense in my mind to do it at the assembly level because you can > create both holes in one step instead of two. > My 2 cents. > > Dan R. > >
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Not possible in R9 either, but I know it has been stated that they are considering adding the ability to push assembly features down to the part level. Of course no firm commitment or time frame was given that I know of. -- Kent Keller Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator "Rui Vaz" wrote in message news:40fc1b89$1_2@newsprd01... > Some (including myself) have suggested that assembly features should allow > the choice of having being seen in context of assembly only or at part > level. > > I haven't got IV9 yet, but maybe someone can tell us if this is possible > now. > > > -- > Rui > > > > "Dan Reynolds" wrote in message > news:40fc1957_1@newsprd01... > > Jack and Jason, > > > > This is an odd workflow and I would be shocked if this is 'as designed'. > > This would only be useful in an assembly drawing, but what about those of > us > > that would like to use this feature for piece drawings? I like the fact > > that I can create holes (and cutouts) in the context of an assembly due to > > the fact that whenever you have a bolt hole in a part you will always have > a > > mating hole on another part for the original piece to bolt to. It makes > > alot of sense in my mind to do it at the assembly level because you can > > create both holes in one step instead of two. > > My 2 cents. > > > > Dan R. > > > > > >
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks Kent. -- Rui "Kent Keller" wrote in message news:40fc29fc$1_3@newsprd01... > Not possible in R9 either, but I know it has been stated that they are > considering adding the ability to push assembly features down to the part > level. Of course no firm commitment or time frame was given that I know of. > > -- > Kent Keller > Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator > > > "Rui Vaz" wrote in message > news:40fc1b89$1_2@newsprd01... > > Some (including myself) have suggested that assembly features should allow > > the choice of having being seen in context of assembly only or at part > > level. > > > > I haven't got IV9 yet, but maybe someone can tell us if this is possible > > now. > > > > > > -- > > Rui > > > > > > > > "Dan Reynolds" wrote in message > > news:40fc1957_1@newsprd01... > > > Jack and Jason, > > > > > > This is an odd workflow and I would be shocked if this is 'as designed'. > > > This would only be useful in an assembly drawing, but what about those > of > > us > > > that would like to use this feature for piece drawings? I like the fact > > > that I can create holes (and cutouts) in the context of an assembly due > to > > > the fact that whenever you have a bolt hole in a part you will always > have > > a > > > mating hole on another part for the original piece to bolt to. It makes > > > alot of sense in my mind to do it at the assembly level because you can > > > create both holes in one step instead of two. > > > My 2 cents. > > > > > > Dan R. > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

It's kind of a kludge, but what I do is create an assembly view and then turn off visibility on everything BUT the part I want to annotate. I only place assembly features in situations where they would be created that way in the "real world". Elsewise, I use adaptivity or linked parameters or master sketches. darvin "Dan Reynolds" wrote in message news:40fc1957_1@newsprd01... > Jack and Jason, > > This is an odd workflow and I would be shocked if this is 'as designed'. > This would only be useful in an assembly drawing, but what about those of us > that would like to use this feature for piece drawings? I like the fact > that I can create holes (and cutouts) in the context of an assembly due to > the fact that whenever you have a bolt hole in a part you will always have a > mating hole on another part for the original piece to bolt to. It makes > alot of sense in my mind to do it at the assembly level because you can > create both holes in one step instead of two. > My 2 cents. > > Dan R. > >
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

If an assembly is changed to a weldment in R9 (I know that's not desirable if its not really a weldment) you can select a single component to detail when creating a drawing view of the weldment. A more automated method of your workflow. Repeat as required for the number of parts to detail. Neil "darvinv" wrote in message news:40fc2c7a_3@newsprd01... > It's kind of a kludge, but what I do is create an assembly view and then > turn off visibility on everything BUT the part I want to annotate. I > only place assembly features in situations where they would be created > that way in the "real world". Elsewise, I use adaptivity or linked > parameters or master sketches. > > darvin > > "Dan Reynolds" wrote in message > news:40fc1957_1@newsprd01... > > Jack and Jason, > > > > This is an odd workflow and I would be shocked if this is 'as > designed'. > > This would only be useful in an assembly drawing, but what about those > of us > > that would like to use this feature for piece drawings? I like the > fact > > that I can create holes (and cutouts) in the context of an assembly > due to > > the fact that whenever you have a bolt hole in a part you will always > have a > > mating hole on another part for the original piece to bolt to. It > makes > > alot of sense in my mind to do it at the assembly level because you > can > > create both holes in one step instead of two. > > My 2 cents. > > > > Dan R. > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report