Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make a piping adaptative

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
TONELLAL
311 Views, 5 Replies

Make a piping adaptative

Hello,

I need to re-use in an assembly a piping route created in another assembly, then make it adaptative to modify it. I insert the piping assembly, but when I want to make it adaptative, I need to save it. The problem is a piping route can only be saved in the assembly it was created. In my case the original assembly does not exist any more, so the piping route cannot be saved... Do you have an idea to solve this problem ?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
subsales
in reply to: TONELLAL

Bonjour Alain,

this is not possible and it is as designed.
When you copy a piping subassembly it will still refer to the original one located into the main assembly (it will be simply linked) that is already adaptive in the main assembly, so it cannot be adaptive in the new assembly.
This way to copy piping subassembly can be used when the subassembly doesn't need to be modified in the destination assembly.
If you need a subassembly be adaptive it must be a copied file with copied non standard elements. You can get this result easily with Copy Design in Vault.
Copy with Copy Design the Subassembly you need to insert into a new tube and pipe main assembly and insert it in this new main assembly. During copy design you need to copy all elements except standard parts.

Hope this helps.

Salutations

Message 3 of 6
subsales
in reply to: subsales

Please note, the provided workaround only works for the main subassembly "Tube and Pipe Runs" and not for a single Run inside this subassembly.

Salutations 

Message 4 of 6
TONELLAL
in reply to: subsales

There IS a command designed specifically to make a pipe which is not created in the active assembly adaptive in the active assembly. I use it every day, it functions. To use it : copy/paste a routing from another assembly in the active piping assembly. It is inserted as a "normal" assembly. Right clic on it and "Make adaptative".

The problem is sometimes Inventor need to save this routing before. So I open the original assembly (where the piping has been created), I save it (and so the routing assembly). Then I can make it adaptative in the other assembly.

The problem is : if the original assembly (where the piping has been created) does no longer exist, I cannot save the piping.

Message 5 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: TONELLAL

In my experience, it is usually better to just create a new route.  I can usually re-create a route from scratch, a lot faster than I can try to figure out all the tap dancing that would be involved in re-using an existing one form another assembly.  Just my humble opinion.

Message 6 of 6
TONELLAL
in reply to: cbenner

Ok for basic route. Here I have a route which need several work hours, which is always the same on our assemblies, except for 3 connections which can move for some centimeters. So the question is not to know if it I re-use the route or if I re-design it. I re-use existing pipes every days, this avoid hours of uneeded work. I have a problem on a specific route, wich I cannot save because the origninal assembly, where it has been designed, does no longer exist. Perhaps somebody has the same problem ? Perhaps there is a workaround to solve this problem ? I can't think I am the only one to use the command "Make a pipe adaptive" !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report