Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MATING ORIGIN PLANES IN 2014 TUBE AND PIPE

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
cadman2011
678 Views, 12 Replies

MATING ORIGIN PLANES IN 2014 TUBE AND PIPE

Hello all,

I have a question for you. Hopefully some of you folks use similar workflows and can help with this one. I'm using inventor 2014 and 2012, I have two computers and have used tube and pipe for a few years now. Can anyone tell me why you can no longer mate your tube and pipe origin plane to your regular enviroment origin planes.

Is there a reason for this? this used to be my first step, to lock the planes so your tube and pipe runs didn't move on you. I keep getting conflicting mate issues when I make the last plane mate. It allows the first two planes to mate without error, but as soon as I do the third I get the conflicting constarint error.

Please advise if something has changed as this used to be the method I used to keep pipe runs from floating on you. Thanks a bunch for any help.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: cadman2011

Make a (very) small sample assembly that exhibits this behavior and attach it here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 13
cbenner

I do this as well, and my pattern is usually Mate (YZ-YZ), Mate (XZ-XZ)... Align (XY-XY).  So far this has always worked for me.  If something has changed, I may be fairly upset.  Like you, this is my first step in T&P.

Message 4 of 13
cadman2011
in reply to: JDMather

Well, I tried to attach a file, but it won't let me there is a file size restriction here on this website. I tried posting a blank file which was 7,000 kb (packngo so you had all design data) and the website says too big. So best I can do is screen shot attached. All you really have to do is start tube and pipe from a blank assembly and try mating the planes from both environments. It errors out on me when you try to mate the last planes together. The first two mate fine.

I mated the YZ from my main assembly to the YZ in my tube and pipe environment, then XZ from both - that all goes well and then when you go to mate the XY's from both environments you error out with conflicting constraints as shown in the attached screen shot. Please advise if you can do this in your 2014, because if you can that tells me they have something set-up wrong.

Thanks very much for your help.

Message 6 of 13
cadman2011
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Not sure what you mean. The whole constraints menu is not available to me. All I can do is mate / mate without mating actual geometry. Did you mean mating an axis rather than the plane?

Message 7 of 13
JDMather

I prefer to add 3 Mate-Flush constraints so that the coordinate systems match up.

I prefer to display extended browser information to make it easier to diagnose problems like this.

Flush Mates.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 13
cbenner

@cadman2011 wrote:

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Not sure what you mean. The whole constraints menu is not available to me. All I can do is mate / mate without mating actual geometry. Did you mean mating an axis rather than the plane?

On the right is the default: Mate, circled on the left is it's complement, Align.  On your third plane to plane constraint try choosing this option.  It usually works for me.  FLUSH!  That's the word, thank you JD... my brain is not functioning this morning.
JD's method of using all FLUSH constraints is also a good (maybe even better) suggestion.

align.JPG

Message 9 of 13
cadman2011

This is exactly what I was trying to do. That's what you have to do pretty much to get the geometry to not float. Did you do that in 2014 or an earlier version because when I mate mate the last plane I end up with conflicts.

Message 10 of 13
cadman2011

Chris,

Thanks..that's what I thought you meant. Those options are not available to me in 2014. I am only able to pick constrain from the ribbon. Don't get the mate / mate or mate flush option. I know what your saying, even in 2012 you had to have a mate flush for your last mate or it wouldn't take. But it seems you dont have access in 2014 version.

Message 11 of 13
JDMather

see attached

Have you installed SP1 & 2?

Message 12 of 13
JDMather

@cadman2011 wrote:

I am only able to pick constrain from the ribbon. Don't get the mate / mate or mate flush option....

Post screen shot.

Message 13 of 13
cadman2011

The menu Chris just showed a screen shot of does not become available during your selection as it previously did in 2012. So I am only able to select constrian from the ribbon. This below does not come up when you pick constrain from ribbon.

align.JPG

Did you do that example.iam in 2014?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report