Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LoD and View Rep control of welds

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
graemev
467 Views, 5 Replies

LoD and View Rep control of welds

Is it possible to have Levels of Detail and/or View Reps control weld suppression/visibility?  I smell an Idea Station post coming on.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Nicolas.Bourquin
in reply to: graemev

Hi Graemev,

This proposition of enhancement has already been logged by another user at this location on Ideastation:

Our development team should review and analyse it ASAP.

Many thanks.

Best Regards

Nicolas Bourquin
Message 3 of 6
csaba.stupak

LevelOfDetail (LOD) is used to save memory by unloading components/suppressing instances from the assembly. Therefore it is not possible to weld beads they are not component (part/sub-assembly) instances.

It is possible to hide the whole set of weld features, but it is not possible to control the visibility of individual welds. The weld is a feature like other features e.g. Extrude, Revolve, etc. It is not possible to hide features. However it is possible to "Suppress Feature" to "hide" them from the scene. This can cause dependent feature failures - if some features are attached directly to weld beads, but I suppose that this is not common.

Thanks,

Csaba

Message 4 of 6
graemev
in reply to: csaba.stupak

@csaba.stupak wrote:

... it is possible to "Suppress Feature" to "hide" them from the scene.

Thanks,

Csaba

That's what I'm looking for, but for it to be persistent and saved.  (Think: sequence of welds in a complicated assembly.)  Should I be using View Reps for this purpose?

Message 5 of 6
csaba.stupak

Both ViewRep and SuppressFeature are persitent.

ViewRep controls the object/instance visibility, color, etc. - appearance. It is possible to override object's appearance from owner assembly. For example if a part has "Green" color it is possible to change the part instance color from the assembly. So if the assembly contains two instances of the same part, both are Green since the part is Green, however using ViewRep it is possible to change one (or both) instance's color to e.g. "Blue".

SuppressFeature excludes the feature from the compute. The feature's body is not generated at all, so it only "simulates" the visibility. Note in case of ViewRep the object is there, just hidden. However in case of SuppressFeature the object is not generated, until it is Unsuppressed. Also the compute time to suppress/unsuppress a feature is higher than visibility change. In case of features however this is the only way to "hide" a feature.

Thanks,

Csaba

Message 6 of 6
graemev
in reply to: csaba.stupak

@csaba.stupak wrote:

Both ViewRep and SuppressFeature are persitent.

ViewRep controls the object/instance visibility, color, etc. - appearance. It is possible to override object's appearance from owner assembly. For example if a part has "Green" color it is possible to change the part instance color from the assembly. So if the assembly contains two instances of the same part, both are Green since the part is Green, however using ViewRep it is possible to change one (or both) instance's color to e.g. "Blue".

SuppressFeature excludes the feature from the compute. The feature's body is not generated at all, so it only "simulates" the visibility. Note in case of ViewRep the object is there, just hidden. However in case of SuppressFeature the object is not generated, until it is Unsuppressed. Also the compute time to suppress/unsuppress a feature is higher than visibility change. In case of features however this is the only way to "hide" a feature.

Thanks,

Csaba

It sounds like that still doesn't cover my needs.  I need to either hide or suppress individual welds and have that collective arrangement available when making an drawing view.  I can only hide all welds, or suppress individual ones, right?  View Reps save a pattern of appearance - hidden or unhidden - and Levels of Detail save patterns of suppression.  (Or am I confused?)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report