Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limits and Fits table is WRONG

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
karthur1
6889 Views, 18 Replies

Limits and Fits table is WRONG

I just got back a submittal package from a customer. Many markups because of incorrect dimension callout for a certian fit.  When I dimensioned the drawing, I used the limit/fit calculator that is with Inventor.  Now I just compared this calculator with the ANSI B4.1-1976 standard that it is supposed to follow.  What I found was that the values in Inventor are wrong.

I just checked a few sizes and they do not match the ANSI standard. Not sure it there are other fits that have errors in them, but I will bet there are. Does anyone at Autodesk realize that if this information is put out, we have to take it as gospel.  I dont have the time to check every-little-stinking dimension. If the dims in the table is wrong, I might as well type them in myself and forget about using the table.  Am I the only one that uses this stuff? 

Here is a screen shot of some of the errrors that I found.  I also checked this size range for RC3, RC4 and RC5.  They all have errors in them too. I am sure there are more, just dont have the time to check.  We are not talking about "Freeware" here... This needs to be fixed ASAP.

RC-6_10in.png

RC-6_13in.png

RC-6_16in.png

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
BMiller63
in reply to: karthur1

I didn't verify this, but assuming it's true, this is shameful. Smiley Mad Someone from Autodesk needs to verify this and take steps to fix this if it is found to be true.

Message 3 of 19
karthur1

Since I found errors in the Limits and Fits calculator.  I thought I would check what shows up when I edit a dimension in the IDW.Found more errors there.  What shows up there is not even the same as the Limits and Fits Calculator!!

Both are wrong, but you would think that they would jive with each other... well they dont.

Here is three that I checked.  looks like I can forget using any of this and manually enter the dimensions by hand.

2011-06-24_0902.png

2011-06-24_0904.png

2011-06-24_0905.png

Here is a clip from the ANSI Standard:

ANSI_Standard.png

Message 4 of 19
conklinjm

Some of what you are observing is the difference between the Imperial & Metric standards for Fits & Limits ... for the ISO 286-2:1988 edition a 16.0000in e8 fit _will_ have a -0.0053in / -0.0091in tolerance.

16.0000in => 406.4mm => 400+ to 500 mm Size Range => -135 to -232 micrometers Tolerance => -0.00531in to -0.00913in

Message 5 of 19
karthur1
in reply to: conklinjm

In the Limits and Fits Calculator, I have the ANSI B4.1-1976 standard selected.  This is behind the "More options" button in the bottom right.  The help says that "Each standard has it own profile and the units of the nominal diameter and deviations are millimeters for ISO and inches for ANSI."  It doesnt look like they are using the ISO and converting it to inches.

For the edit dimension dialog...I see what you are saying. I dont see where I can select a standard. It does looks like they are just using the ISO standard and then converting to inches, which is obviously an error.

99.9% of my jobs use the ANSI standard.

Message 6 of 19
dave.anderson

It seems that the xml data that populates the fits Calc is off.

I looked up the limits and fits in my Machinery’s Handbook (25th Edition) and here’s what it’s stating:

RC6 Sizes9.85-12.41      Hole – H9 (+5.0 / -0.0)   Shaft- e8 (-5.0 / -8.0)

Hole 10.005/10.000        Shaft 9.995/ 9.992

Based on this, it seems that the Inventor Calculator is off 5 tenths and the Calculator has the Shaft as -.0045 / -.0075 which is the difference for this size. The others have a simmilar issue.

I've logged this with our developers as a change request.

Dave Anderson
Sr. Support Engineer– CAM
Autodesk, Inc.

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 19
SKinzel

I ran across this some time ago.  Drove me crazy for about a day trying to figure out what was going on and if maybe the standard had been revised without me know it.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Limits-and-Fits/m-p/3010044#M401309

At least it is being looked at by Autodesk now.

Stuart Kinzel
Inventor 2013-64bit, HP EliteBook8740w Intel Core i5CPU 2.67 GHz
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit
Message 8 of 19
2grumpy
in reply to: dave.anderson

Smiley Surprised Dave, I can not believe, you just admitted to gross breach of care. Autodesk is using data from Machinery Handbook as source of calculation data for your software. No wonder that is riddle with mistakes.

Should not you use data from standards acquired right from sources? - whatever national/country standards?

That explain why few years back when calculating springs in Inventor and checking the results on Mechanical desktop I did have different results so I did have to get it check on specialized for spring design software with manufacturer and have still different outcome. Non of the Autodesk spring was correct.

Message 9 of 19
SBix26
in reply to: 2grumpy

Please re-read Dave's post-- he did not say that Machinery's Handbook is the source for Autodesk's data, nor that he is responsible for that data, simply that he looked there to check the numbers being discussed in this thread.

Message 10 of 19
2grumpy
in reply to: SBix26

It only proved from where the data has been acquired - exact mistakes. 

Message 11 of 19
BryanKelley

Hello All,

Well, it seems we are getting closer to the problem.  At some point in the past, it seems that we used data from APPENDIX I: LIMITS FOR SHAFTS c to In it, there is a mismatch in Standard ANSI B4.1, table 5.  We assumed that they would be identical.  Looking at the data in the attached image, we can see that there is a discrepancy

In the first image we see the data from TABLE 5 RUNNING AND SLIDING FITS: (Please note that RC5 is clipped to the left.)

Newkarthur1.jpg

In the next image from APPENDIX I: LIMITS FOR SHAFTS c to x, you can see the difference.

Appendix1.jpg

This is where the problem seems to be.

Thanks,
Bryan

Sr. Software QA Engineer
DLS – Mechanical Design
Message 12 of 19
karthur1
in reply to: BryanKelley

Bryan,

Thanks for the explanation. Interesting that these tables conflict with each other and they are both in the same standard.  My standard has the same tables in the appendix, but I never use these tables.  I just used to reading the main ones.  Not ever sure why they have appendix 1 in there.  Makes me wonder which one is correct!!

The copy of the standard I have was "reaffirmed" in 1999.  Looks like it needs to be reaffirmed again...lol

In my original post, I used the RC6 fit just as an example.  There are errors in the limits and fits calculator for other sizes as well.  Most of the error are in the 9.85 to 19.49 size ranges.  The entire thing needs to be checked.

That answers why we are getting the wrong values for the limits and fits calculator, but what about the "Edit Dimension" dialog in the idw?  Do you know what is generating these errors?

Kirk

Message 13 of 19
BryanKelley

Hi Kirk,

Yes, the difference from the same document we purchased has really raised some concerns.  It's very odd to say the least.

The second disparity is still being tracked down.

Thanks,
Bryan

Sr. Software QA Engineer
DLS – Mechanical Design
Message 14 of 19
karthur1

Here is another error that I came across.  It has to do with .6875 (nominal).  The fit should be LC6(H9/f8).  The design assistant has it right, but the tolerance dialog in the model is wrong.

Limits_Wrong.png

Message 15 of 19
a.savard
in reply to: dave.anderson

Was this resolved? We are still having issues with that.

And tolerances are not the same with the limits and fits mechanical calculator and the drawing dimensions.

Is this supposed to be normal? considering this post is 8 years old now....

Thank you!

Message 16 of 19
johnsonshiue
in reply to: a.savard

Hi! There is indeed a lot of room for improvement in the way the tolerance is captured and reused and propagated. What Inventor release are you on? Here is the behavior I am seeing.

1) Click on Tolerance command in the right-click context menu.

2) Select Limit-Fit-Stacked or other types allowing you to select H9.

3) Then select Limit-Stacked.

On my machine, I am seeing "0.689193 in" as Upper value.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 19
a.savard
in reply to: johnsonshiue

We are currently using inventor 2019.4.

I'm not quite sure what you are telling me here...

It seems that the limits and fits mechanical calculator is not wrong anymore but the ones in drawing dimensions do not match them.

We are having issues with the limits/fits in drawing dimensions in general, some are wrong but not all of them...

What I mean is that if you are going to include the option to use this kind of tolerances I think it's not too much to ask to have correct values in it and that the two different ways of verifying them should at least have the same values.

We are not having problems with this specific case but to give you a few examples of ones that do not work or match:

With an RC6 tolerance (H9/e8) and a Ø9.8750" nominal, the values of the shaft should be max: 9.8700" and min: 9.8670". in the limits and fits mechanical calculator, the values are right but in a drawing if I input these I get max:9.8707 and min: 9.8675 both of wich are wrong.

The same kind of mismatch happens with all e8 tolerance on shafts with diameters between 9.85 and 19.69 inches.

I did not verify on diameters over that but I think you (by that I obviously mean Autodesk not specificaly you) should seriously check the whole thing or make the two things match or at least refer to the same xml or whatever file you are using because all the cases I verified with the limits and fits mechanical calculator were correct.

For now we won't be using the limits/fits dimension type in drawing because it could cost a lot of money to our company.

That being said thank you very much and have a nice day!

Message 18 of 19
johnsonshiue
in reply to: a.savard

Hi! Certainly, these values should be up-to-date. We do have some standard compliant issues. We are tracking them closely but we have not resolved all of them. Your points are well taken. I will work with the project team to understand the issue better and see what we can do.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 19 of 19
jan_priban1
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello,

thank you for reporting this discordance between DACC Limits and Fits & Drawing. I will let development department know.

Regards

Jan Priban

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report