Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lifting Lug Placement on a Cone

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Atlas_Inventor
1126 Views, 4 Replies

Lifting Lug Placement on a Cone

Hi!

Is there a way in Inventor (or any other Autodesk Design Suite program) to find the point on a cone (attached jpg) where the lifting lug should go so that when lifted, the cone stays in the same orientation as in the attached picture.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Atlas_Inventor

You could try turning on the center of gravity and attaching the lug so the hole is in line with it.

Message 3 of 5
mpatchus
in reply to: Anonymous

I made a real simple cone, applied the appropriate material, then used the "X" value of the COG to located the lug.

COG.JPG

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to automatically pull the COG value directly into the dimension.

I've attached the part.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 4 of 5
Atlas_Inventor
in reply to: Anonymous

John,

The CoG ends up being on the inside of the Cone so simply going straight up to the edge of the cone would change the balance point should it not?

Message 5 of 5
mpatchus
in reply to: Atlas_Inventor

I constructed the model with the origin being centered on the centerline of the cone, and dimensioned the lug to the origin using the COG X value.

As long as the lug is directly over the COG, the part should always be balanced, since the lug itself is included in the COG calculations.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report