Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library parts, set to QTY, not length by default?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
cholte
755 Views, 5 Replies

Library parts, set to QTY, not length by default?

How do I get the library raw material to default the units to be “QTY, not length”? So I don’t have to open every part I bring in to an assy and update it for my BOM?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cholte
in reply to: cholte

Sorry, I may not be clear enough. I want my “Unit QTY” of library part to default “QTY”, not a length at an ASSY level not drawing level. Any part I create it shows up in the model ASSY as a QTY?

Message 3 of 6
Cadmanto

When you have the BOM open in your assembly, try RCing on the "QTY" column and select "Runtime Column Customization" and when the "Customization" dialog window comes up change the property to "Item Qty".

I know this works with drawing BOM's.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 6
jtylerbc

I believe you will need to upload a new family template part to the Content Center to make this work.  Take any part created from that CC family, adjust the base quantity (Document Settings) to your desired settings, then go back to the CC Editor and use Replace Family Template.

That all being said, you could also just use the "Item Qty" field instead of the normal "Qty" field in your parts list.  This too will turn it back into a count, instead of a length.  This is the method I use, so that if a case ever does come up where I want the lengths displayed in a parts list, I still have access to them.

Message 5 of 6
cholte
in reply to: jtylerbc

I've been on tech support for the last 1/2 hr and have support stumped. Any changes will not save to my styles library. So now I have to give them my files to sort out... Yes my projects folder is set to “Read/Write”

Message 6 of 6
pauldoubet

I don't recommend you change this, instead change your 'Parts List' to use 'Item Qty' not 'Qty'. This has been discussed on the forum numerous times. Changing your parts list is much easier and you will still have the ability to total the running length of parts with the same stock number etc. for a total material requirement estimate.

Hope this helps, Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report