Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length in Routed Systems

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
cbenner
359 Views, 5 Replies

Length in Routed Systems

OK,... I came across an issue while looking into a possible solution to another question posted here:

In an attempt to change the unit display on a CC item (from decimal inches to fractional), I came across what, to me, is an issue.  In the CC I set the length on a pipe conduit part to a custom column, with the range at .001 - 240 inches.  I modified my filename column so it was a string that included the length value at the end. (ie Spool x length). 

If I place from CC, as custom, a piece of this conduit, the filename does exactly what I expected.  If I specify 24 in the length box in the CC dialog, my filename comes in as "spool x 24"... (or to that effect, I'm paraphrasing).  If I do the same thing within the context of a pipe run in that same assembly... the filename, even though I chose place from CC, as custom, and specified a length, comes in as "spool x .001".  Every time.  And also, any spool pieces generated as a result of populating a route.  I expect the filename there to be different as tube & pipe has it's own rules for naming spools... but the description field still generates as "spool x .001". 

So, it would appear that the column parameters set in the CC, do not apply at all in Routed Systems?  I may have to put this in the idea station... wish I had found it last year, now I'll have to wait another year for apotential fix.  Smiley Frustrated

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

If I understand your issue correctly, you are expecting the length to come in the description as per the specified length when placing the part?  Is that correct?  If so I have done this with my unistrut structural pieces.  Which is what led to my idea (which might get lumped into yours or vise versa) and caused me to start my other thread.

I do have what I have done documented if it helps you.  Let me know if you want to see it.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: Cadmanto

Scott,  thanks, I have gotten this to work in Frame Generator... but not Routed Systems.  Following the same procedures.  My frame lengths all show up in my BOM perfectly... in piping, I have to manually edit them.  This is a real pain, especially if you change something and forget to update the BOM.

I'm going to keep messing with it, but I think I'm at a dead end.  If and when I post the idea, I'll put the link here.

Message 5 of 6
Cadmanto

Chris,

I got it and voted for it.

Mine are setup for both regular insurtion and to work through the frame generator.  Both display as I would expect (with the exception of what I want in the other thread and can't have Smiley Mad).

I guess we will both see where this goes.  Smiley Happy

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 6
lesmfunk

I just discovered how to get it to do what you want for description and part number but not filename.

After you create your route, right click on the hose/tube and "change size". Just don't change the size and click "OK".

You will have your partnumber and description populate with length exactly the way you want.

The filename is another issue.

WARNING!! DO NOT CHANGE LENGTH WHEN YOU CLICK CHANGE SIZE!! YOU WILL NOT GET THE ORIGINAL LENGTH BACK WITHOUT RE-ROUTING THE HOSE/TUBE!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report