Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length Parameter In iPart Description

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
rob.j.ross
2007 Views, 11 Replies

Length Parameter In iPart Description

I have a Length parameter that I would like to use in the description of a simple iPart.  I can enter the equation with the parameter into the Description field in the iProperties and it calculates correctly.  When I add the description column to the iPart table, all members get the same description as the active or current member even though all the Lengths are different.  Regenerating all members does not seem to correct it.  I have done this before but don't remember what am I doing wrong.

Dual Intel Xeon E5540 CPUs
16GB DDR3 Ram
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: rob.j.ross

@CPRob wrote:

I have a Length parameter that I would like to use in the description of a simple iPart.  I can enter the equation with the parameter into the Description field in the iProperties and it calculates correctly.  When I add the description column to the iPart table, all members get the same description as the active or current member even though all the Lengths are different.  Regenerating all members does not seem to correct it.  I have done this before but don't remember what am I doing wrong.

It looks like the value and not the actual equation populated to the ipart table.  Try manually typing the equation into one of the instances, and see if it propogates properly (tongue twister!).  If it works, you can copy and paste the equation into the rest of the rows.

Message 3 of 12
rob.j.ross
in reply to: cbenner

You cannot type the equation directly into the iPart author column (see error) but you can do this if you edit the table via spreadsheet and create the equation in Excel.  I thought this could be done without entering an additional equation in Excel?

iPart Description.png

16GB DDR3 Ram
Message 4 of 12
rob.j.ross

To get all iPart members to use their specific lengths in their specific descriptions you must put the equation in Excel.  I thought this could be handled by the built in fx equation capability in the parent part description but apparently not.

16GB DDR3 Ram
Message 5 of 12
P_Korgaonkar

Hello Rob,

This post shows as solved.

But I can see the solution.

I am trying to do the same with no luck.

Did you find the way to achieve this?

Regards

Parag

Message 6 of 12
P_Korgaonkar
in reply to: P_Korgaonkar

Sorry for Typo.

I meant I did not see any solution.

Regards

Parag

Message 7 of 12
IgorMir
in reply to: P_Korgaonkar

Hi Parag;

The thread is four years old. Yet I too am keen to see a solution to your question.

Cheers,

Igor.

@P_Korgaonkar wrote:

Sorry for Typo.

I meant I did not see any solution.

Regards

Parag

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 8 of 12
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: IgorMir

@P_Korgaonkar

The video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIcn601F6TQ at the 34 min mark that walks you through how its done..  In the beginning it was formatted incorrectly but 2nd attempt (it worked Smiley LOL)

Although a given posting was marked as the solution, the real solution is the reply above the solution.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 9 of 12
IgorMir
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Thanks, Mark!

I will know from now on how to handle such a task in the future. One thing I still couldn't work out though. How to introduce spacers in the formula in the spread sheet? So I get an info presented in the Description the way it is in red circle. Here is a part in IV2018 format as well.

Many Thanks!

Igor.

iPart Table formating.jpg

Message 10 of 12
jhackney1972
in reply to: IgorMir

@IgorMir, In the spreadsheet the text values are introduced into the callout by using quotes (") for example the "x" between the values.  Since a space is just text, add it inside the quotes to get the spacing you desire.  Here is one cell formatting from the Excel spreadsheet.  Note the desired spaces added inside the quotes.

Excel Spreadsheet with Spaces.jpg

And here is the iPart table showing the spaces you desire.

iPart Description Column.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 11 of 12
IgorMir
in reply to: jhackney1972

Terrific! Thanks, John!

Cheers,

Igor.

Message 12 of 12

Thank you, All of you guys.

The video is a great work.

What I am trying was little different. Length is of a flat pattern and I need a text before length which also changes as per member.

I did manage to do it last night.

Excel works if all of the cells are numbers. But I have the formula in one cell and changing text in another, so Excell does not accept it. The parts list then shows the formula instead of value.

So workaround as below.

I have created another part property which is Text and changes as per member. Flat pattern length I have calculated using Parameters and formula. I have created a column in the spreadsheet for this.

I have used this parameter in the part sketch and drawn a  construction line to use this parameter. The line is just to consume this parameter called "Length"

(What I have learnt is I need to use the parameter in the part itself for it to work!)

And then in Description of the part itself, I have used function =<Category><Length>

This did a trick and I got the desired result.

Parts List-1.jpgPart Description.jpgIpart Excel.jpgParameter Length.jpgUsed parameter.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report