Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leader to a referenced part in an assembly idw

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
karthur1
943 Views, 10 Replies

Leader to a referenced part in an assembly idw

I have placed an subassembly into another assembly that I am working on. This sub was then chagned to be a "reference". Now in the idw, I would like to pull a leader to the subassembly and I want the text in the leader to say what is in the "Title" Property of the subassembly. When I change the format of the leader text to be Type = "Properties-Model" and Property= "Title", I get the title of the part in the subassembly, not the title of the subassembly.
It is like the subassembly is a phantom assembly, but it is not. The workaround is to manually type in the text, but this is a mistake waiting to happen.

Is there a way to get the leader to note the title of the subassembly correctly.

R11,sp2
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
henrikubbe4438
in reply to: karthur1

If I draw a leader to a reference part and choose type title or part number, no text at all is visible, even though there is a title both on the assembly and on the part. If I change the part back to a normal part, still no text. If I draw a new leader to the part when it is a normal part, the text shows and the text stays when I change the part to a reference part.

R11 sp2

/Ub Message was edited by: Ubbe
Message 3 of 11
henrikubbe4438

Interesting, I could not reproduce the same result with the same workflow a second time. Now it shows the title and part number of the indicated part whether it is reference or not.

/ub
Message 4 of 11
karthur1

Is the part that you pointing to a part in the assembly? I would like the text to be the title of the subassembly, not the title of the part in the sub.
Message 5 of 11
henrikubbe4438

Of course, it is the title of the part.

Yes, a possibility to choose part or assembly for the text would be neat!

A possible workaround would be to choose some other column you don't use and put the subasm title in that column. Ie set keyword or comment field in the part to the title of the subasm.

/Ub
Message 6 of 11
ozstang65

I'm currently looking for a solution to this also. I'd like to be able to reference a subassembly's properties in the IDW. Anyone have a solution to this?

In the meantime I'll keep looking.....
Message 7 of 11
Scrubulum

Did you ever figure this out?  I'm coming from SolidWorks and am very fustrated that I can't figure out how to do this.

Message 8 of 11
jddickson

I just answer this a on a diferent post but i hope this helps. 

I have a work around that works. It not worth the time to do it every time but would work well with a template. You would have to make an iLogic rule on the drawing level that makes a custom property change to match the subassembly decryption. Then you can pick the custom drawing properties to pick the decryption. This way everything will update if the subassembly decryption changes.

If you need help with the iLogic please let me know.

I hope that made some kind sense and helps in some kind of way

Thanks

JD

Message 9 of 11

Hi everyone,

I've created an Idea Station idea for this. You can use this link to give the idea a kudo to show that this is something you would find useful:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Improve-Leader-Text-to-Pull-Subassembly-iProperti...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 11

Thanks! Kudo given.
Message 11 of 11
jddickson

I posted how to use the work around on this other post.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Leader-Text-Question/m-p/4317172#M475547

Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report