Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layers in Parts List

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
eveylynne
1164 Views, 10 Replies

Layers in Parts List

In an idw, if I select Parts List, the BOM setting of layers can be swithced between First Level and All Levels.  Once I select my view, the option grays out and selects First Level. I need my BOM to show All Levels.

What do I do to select All Layers for my drawing?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
cbenner
in reply to: eveylynne

@eveylynne wrote:

In an idw, if I select Parts List, the BOM setting of layers can be swithced between First Level and All Levels.  Once I select my view, the option grays out and selects First Level. I need my BOM to show All Levels.

What do I do to select All Layers for my drawing?

Once you pick a view, it defaults to the level settings set in the BOM for that assembly.  Right click on the view, prior to placing your parts list, and select Bill of Materials.  Once in the BOM go to the View Properties:

levels.JPG

You can select All Levels under there, and then when you place a Parts List, it will come in structured that way.

Message 3 of 11
eveylynne
in reply to: cbenner

It is grayed out there as well.

Message 4 of 11
cbenner

Can you post the files, or a sample drawing (with parts) that shows this behavior?  Or at the least some screen shots?

Do you use Vault?  What version of Inventor is this?

Message 5 of 11

@eveylynne wrote:

It is grayed out there as well.

Hi eveylynne,

When you're in the BOM editor as cbenner instructed, ensure that you have the Stuctured tab set active. If the Model Data tab is active, then the button will be grayed out.

Autodesk Inventor BOM Structure Level.png

Once you have the BOM set to use All Levels, then you can edit the Parts List in the drawing, and should see a + next to the subassemblies that can be clicked to show all levels.

Autodesk Inventor BOM Structure Level1.png

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 11

Thanks guys, I'm still stuck though.

I'm working in 2014.  We don't use Vault.  The assembly is large & proprietary, so I can't really share it.  It is also an iassembly.

I shared two pngs to show my menus.  Both are greyed out.

I've treid using different idw templates, in case my custom one was somehow doing it.  I've tried enabling & disabling the BOM.  No luck.

I also tried a smaller assembly that wasn't an iassembly, and that one let me choose All Layers. I can then edit the BOM, and expand the sub assembly parts and they show up as they should.

Any suggestions?

Message 8 of 11

@eveylynne wrote:

... It is also an iassembly.

Hi eveylynne ,

There's the issue. iAssemblies simply cannot be expanded in the BOM.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for getting an expanded BOM from an iAssembly other than the one mentioned here (see the comments area):

http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2011/05/exporting-all-level-bom-from-inventor.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 9 of 11

Thank you!

That script more or less did what I needed!

All of the parts are in the BOM, and I mean everything, so I still need to edit quantities.  However, that is much better than  some of my alternatives.

Message 10 of 11
rhasell

Hi

There is a workaround to your problem.

Create a new assembly and place one of the iAssemblies into the new assembly.

Save this as something like NAME_DETAILING_ASSY.

This will now give you full control over the BOM/Parts list. and will maintain any links to the host assembly.

iAssembly-1.PNG

iAssembly-2.PNG

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 11 of 11
eveylynne

Just an fyi, the BOM seems to revert in the assembly.  You have to run it every time you open it?  Anywho, it resets the BOM on the print to one layer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report