Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Assemblies don't derive.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
shastu
142 Views, 3 Replies

Large Assemblies don't derive.

I am having trouble trying to derive large assemblies. It just never accomplishes it. I have let it run over night before, and when I come back in the morning it still just sitting there with an hour glass stairing at me. Is there any other way to convert an assembly into a part? Message was edited by: shastu
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: shastu

Hello,

If you are on R11, you can take advantage of Design Views and Level of Detail
representations to remove unnecessary components from the Derive process. While this may
not be optimal for all workflows, in cases where the internal components are not necessary
for the intended use of the Derived Assembly part, this can help speed the process
considerably.

I'd also recommend excluding parts with overly complex surfaces, such as coils, when
possible.

As a last option, try deriving different portions of the assembly into separate Derived
assemblies, place them into a new assembly, and make a final derive. This will break up
the boolean operations.

Regards,
Pete

Peter Maxfield
Product Design, Autodesk Inventor

wrote in message news:5392300@discussion.autodesk.com...
I am having trouble trying to derive large assemblies. It just never accomplishes it. I
have let it run over night before, and when I come back in the morning it still just
sitting there with an hour glass stairing at me. Is there any other way to convert an
assembly into a part?

Message was edited by: shastu
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Adding to what Peter said.

Some more ways to handle this:
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5056209

While deriving it has reached the memory and resources limit due to the size of the assembly. We have issues logged for this. For now we will have to try the workarounds. Thanks.

shekar
Message 4 of 4
shona

Have a look at the thread suggested in one of the replies, but here's what I have to do when I need to dumb down stuff in a quick and dirty fashion to port into Nastran

Save the assembly as a SAT. Import into MDT
and combine all the components into one lump, (_UNION).

Then AMACISOUT and open the SAT file in Inventor.
It normally is a pretty quick operation - at least a lot quicker than deriving it.

Shona

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report