Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large ACME Threads

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
karthur1
1492 Views, 7 Replies

Large ACME Threads

Looking for specs on a 6inx5 tpi ACME thread.  My Mach Handbook stops at 5in.  Anybody worked out this for a 6in?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mrattray
in reply to: karthur1

It should be pretty simple to come up with the geometery yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapezoidal_thread_forms

What is it exaclty that you're looking for?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 8
jletcher

Or you can use this feature...

Message 4 of 8
karthur1
in reply to: jletcher

Nice work James on the iFeature.

I worked out the table for a few sizes above 5in.  Attached is the new ACME.xls for Large Threads (5in and above).

I done the worksheet with formulas, so in the future if someone needs a size larger than what I have done, it just a matter of changing the nominal size.  The Major, Minor and pitch diameters change accordingly.

Kirk

P.S.  Wonder if AD will EVER fix the issue with the RH threads showing the wrong direction on external threads?

2013-05-23_1618.png

Message 5 of 8
mrattray

Now I know I haven't had my coffee, yet... but it looks to me like your cosmetic thread is right hand and your ACME thread is left hand...

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 8
karthur1
in reply to: mrattray

Mike, you are correct. The threads on the ifeature are the wrong direction.  I tried to create an ifeature for the thread.  I can get it to work, but I can't make it work like the one that James posted above.  I cant figure out how he made it work with the sketch that shows in his ifeature. 

Attached is my ifeature and the part that I made the ifeature from.  Problem that I have is that I can only get my thread to go in one direction.  Like in the image below, if I start the ifeature on the left end of the diameter, it will go to the right. But, if I start it on the right end of a diameter, I can't make it go to the left.

2013-05-24_0957.png

I could not figure out how to make the threads handed either.  That would require changing the direction of the coil feature and afaik, that cant be done with a parameter.

Message 7 of 8
Barry1Lau

These are really cool.  Where do I save this file in Inventor to make it work?

Message 8 of 8
karthur1
in reply to: Barry1Lau

You can save them in any place really... thats up to you.  When you insert it, you will have to browse to the location of where you save them.  If you are working in a shared environment, it would be a good place to put them in a location that all users can access them.

Can you get the one I posted to go both directions?  I never could.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report