Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop Specification

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Tref.
798 Views, 8 Replies

Laptop Specification

Gentlefolk,

My IT guy is suggesting this as a suitable laptop for running Inventor - any opinions?:

• Asus G75VW-91121Z-16GB
  • Display: 17.3" Full HD 3D 16:9 Full HD 3D(1920x1080 120Hz) LED Backlight
  • CPU: Intel®  Quad Core™ i7-3610 QM ( 2.3GHz )
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 M 3GB dedicated
  • Storage: 2 TB
  • Memory: 16GB
  • Thunderbolt  x 1

Many thanks,

Tref.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
SBix26
in reply to: Tref.

Processor is on the slow side.  Go for the fastest processor you can get, even if it's fewer cores; Inventor mostly uses just one (rendering and drawing view generation will use additional, if available).

Message 3 of 9
rmerlob
in reply to: SBix26

Wouldnt the core i7 turbo boost get activated while using a single core?, also, doesn't stress analysis get multicore support now? that could make more cores a little better Just out of curiosity, how big of an assembly are you planning on handling?
Message 4 of 9
Tref.
in reply to: rmerlob

Thanks for teh comments - our IT guy is looking for an alternative now (with faster processor). It seems lame in comparison to many, but a typical large assembly for us is in the region of 600 components. Unfortunately it isn't a dedicated CAD machine and has to run office, email, internet etc as well, and I am expected to quickly open up assemblies and drawings from other products than the one I am working on for troubleshooting purposes.

Message 5 of 9
SBix26

If you need your computer to multi-task, then I would strongly recommend a SSD for the primary drive (operating system and applications).  I just put one in my new home computer a couple of months ago, and the difference in booting, opening programs, etc. is really noticeable.  I used a 120 GB SSD, but for a work computer I'd go with the 240 - 256 range.

Message 6 of 9
rmerlob

Haha, that's not lame at all, I would love to work somewhere like that (**** third world country) I work at a foundry and assemblies are around 15 parts lol.

On topic, I find it hard to believe that pc couldn't handle 600 parts, but if a faster equal cored processor is available then by all means go for it just to be safe.
Message 7 of 9
Tref.
in reply to: rmerlob

OK, spec that I am now being offered:

Dell Mobile Precision M4700

3rd gen Intel Core i7-3940XM Processor (3.00GHz Turbo, 8MB)

NVIDIA Quadro K2000M with 2GB GDDR3

1920 x 1080 LCD,

16GB 1600MHz DDR3

750GB 2.5inch Serial ATA (7.200 Rpm)

How does that sound?

Many thanks,

Tref.

Message 8 of 9
SBix26

Still would recommend SSD for OS and applications-- much faster.

Message 9 of 9
Tref.
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks, I've asked our IT guy to look at that to see if it is an option...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report