Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labelling exploded view

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
JeffVN
1108 Views, 3 Replies

Labelling exploded view

Hey,

Been lurking quite a bit the past month or so as my new job uses Inventor, and I came from Solid Edge, so I've been able to find most answers to my questions during the transition from this forum, so thanks for your help!

The problem I'm having now is more of a general drafting question, but I'm wondering if Inventor has anything built in to accomodate what I am doing.

I have a rather large (dimensionally) assembly, that is mostly just a collection of about a dozen smaller weldaments, so it doesn't have alot of parts, just it is  about 550 inches long, so I have to use alot of detail and section views to get the point across.  I have one portion of my which has one weldment sliding into another weldment, and then there is a bolt that goes in just to lock the pieces together during sliding.  The bolt is pretty hidden in amongst the two weldments, so I am wanting to do an exploded view to show how they go together.  I haven't had to do alot of exploded views before, so this is a bit new to me.

Due to the large size of the assembly, I don't want to do an exploded view of the entire assembly, just the portion that is critical.  So I've made a presentation with the exploded view of the two weldments (the rest of the assembly is currently made not visible).  Now when I put that view into my drawing, it doesn't have any context really, like a detail or section view would have.  Is there any proper way in Inventor to show where the exploded view is coming from in the assembly, or do I just need to manually label it?  Thanks! 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jtylerbc
in reply to: JeffVN

No, not really, because the views aren't associated like they would be in a detail or section view.

A possible workaround would be to sketch your own "detail border" in a sketch on the drawing (tied to the assembly view, so it will move with the view on the sheet if needed).  You could put the lines on that sketch on the same layer as your detail boundaries.  They would then look similar, despite the different methods used to create them.

Message 3 of 4
JeffVN
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks, that's a good suggestion, I might have to go that route.

I figured being from different sources may be an issue, but you can label the exploded view, using the BOM Table from the standard views.  If you select "Balloon" and click on a part,  it will ask you what the source file is, and use its BOM.  I was hoping there was a way to link them similar to that, but with views.  Thanks,

Message 4 of 4
coreyparks
in reply to: JeffVN

What I have done in the past is to turn on the view label for the view you just added and name to view A or something.  Start the detail view command and put a circle around the area that contains your parts, make sure it is the same name as your exploded view.  Now place the detail view that gets created a ways outside the border, it won't print when placed out there.  We had to do things like this quite extensively at my last job.  at time we might have a half dozen views done this way.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report