Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOD's More then Just for Parts?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Cadmanto
342 Views, 5 Replies

LOD's More then Just for Parts?

I think I have finally gotten some understanding on what LOD's do and how to use them in my assemblies.

Now in doing some research and experimenting, I am seeing that LOD's only seem to minipulate the on/off

suppression of components.  Now I am wanting to incorporate suppression of mates.  Is there a way to do this without creating another iassembly?

My scenario is I have an assembly that in the one drawing I need the cover open, but in the other drawing (which uses the same assembly model) I need it closed.

Thoughts?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: Cadmanto

I think you want positional representations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 6
jtylerbc

Look into Positional Representations.  They allow you to suppress, unsuppress, and override constraint values to put the assembly into different positions.

In this case, you could have the Master position be the closed cover, and then create a second that opens it. You can set the PosRep to be used in individual views on a drawing, so that you can show open and closed views.

You'll also have the possibility of creating an Overlay view, which can superimpose one of the PosReps on the other (such as to show range of motion).

Message 4 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thank you.  I found the postion representations and I got them to work.  Now I just have to figure out how to link them to specific LOD's.

Any thoughts?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 6
jtylerbc

As far as I know, you can't actually link them.  They're seperate switches, and you'll just have to set both the way you want them at the same time.

So, say you've got two LOD's:  Cover Closed and Cover Open, because you're suppressing things you can't see anyway when the cover is closed.

Then you've got the two PosReps:  Cover Closed and Cover Open.  In reality, one of these would probably actually just be the Master, but I named both for clarity in the example.

You'll have to set the following two combinations in your drawing views:

Cover Open View:

LOD:  Cover Open

PosRep:  Cover Open

Cover Closed View:

LOD:  Cover Closed

PosRep:  Cover Closed

Message 6 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: jtylerbc

Yeah, that is what I was seeing.  I figured I would pose the question just in case I was missing something.

Thanks for the confirmation and clarity of your response.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report