Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyway generator giving incorrect sizes

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
boylini
813 Views, 3 Replies

Keyway generator giving incorrect sizes

Hi,

I am using the keyway generator to place a keyway in a hub and shaft, but the depth of the keyway (and the height of the associated key) is not right.

I am using an 18mm and a 20mm dia shaft, both of which should use a 6mm wide by 6mm high key according to the ISO standard. http://mdmetric.com/tech/keywayspecify.pdf   http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Keyways/keyways.htm

But Inventor gives me a 6mm wide x 4mm high key and the keyways to fit; so if I use a standard 6mm high key in real life it won't fit. There doesn't seem to be any way to change to a custom key height.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is Inventor using a different set of standards? It's pretty good at matching standards in other places, for example the gear and fastener generators, so this seems strange to me.

Thanks,

Tom

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
boylini
in reply to: boylini

It seems if I use the DIN6885A or JISB1301 standard keys they come out the right size. Does anyone have any idea why the ISO one doesn't match?

Message 3 of 4
KEJay74
in reply to: boylini

Autodesk still has not corrected the keyway depth issues.  I am attempting to do a proper keyway in 2.938" shaft.  ANSI setting gives a key dept of 0.326 instead of 0.375 on the side of the keyway.  In other words the keyway is 0.049" too shallow when selecting a "square" key.

Message 4 of 4
KEJay74
in reply to: KEJay74

Autodesk has now created a CASE file for this issue...[CaseNo:09508110.]  It has subsequently been transferred to the development group and the case "closed".  No fix yet...just... Case Closed.  I am attaching here some information I sent to them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report