Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard shortcuts not working. Inv. 2011

51 REPLIES 51
Message 1 of 52
blaste
12367 Views, 51 Replies

Keyboard shortcuts not working. Inv. 2011

Has anyone noticed Keyboard shortcuts not working from time to time in Inv 2011? It's ultimately frustrating because I cannot figure out what is causing the issue. Sometimes restarting Inventor or opening the keyboard shortcuts customize window works and sometimes it doesn't. Standard default shortcuts like "ctrl + p" for printing and custom shortcuts I have added both don't function in Inv. but work just fine in other programs.

Another undesired problem is after rebooting our machines the Project file is switched back to default.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Inventor 2011 Simulation w/ SP1

Windows 7

Vault 2011

51 REPLIES 51
Message 21 of 52
bobvdd
in reply to: PeterBrodt

I use F7 ten times a day both on 2012 and 2013 and don't have the problem.

For any of these keyboard related problems, there is not much guidance I can give you to track down the cause other than keeping your eyes open and trying to remember any particular steps that might lead to the problem.

I would also like to know if you used UNDO or ran a stress analyisis prior to the shortcut disappering as I found a defect 1459632 that seems to point in that direction. Furthermore, please work with the latest service pack for your release.

You could also try resetting the shortcut keys to their default values in the Customize dialog if you think your keys have a problem. But I don't have a magic formula to reproduce this on my end and as long as we don't have a reproducible case, it is impossible to fix it.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 22 of 52
PeterBrodt
in reply to: bobvdd

I also experieced CTRL-Z not working for Undo - I don't know if it's related to the F7 thing. It is only in Inventor, that this Windows standard keyboard shortcut does not work. I'll look out and see if I can reproduce it the next time I start up Inventor.

Message 23 of 52
DanSingleton
in reply to: PeterBrodt

I have the F6 issue. Inventor 2013 64bit

Message 24 of 52
Vlad.Makarov
in reply to: bobvdd

Default shortcuts Ctrl-P, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V stop working after a certain period of time.

Restarting Inventor fixes it temporarily. A quirky bug.

jdits7
in reply to: Vlad.Makarov

Just implemented Inventor 2013 on all of the computers in our department. Now we are having this issue on quite a few of the computers. F6, F7, Ctrl +Z. Trying to figure out the steps involved but not really finding a pattern. Very frustating. Will update later if I find out anything. If anybody has a solution let me know.

jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
Message 26 of 52
DanSingleton
in reply to: jdits7

I've found that if you have the text box for the help search showing then the shortcuts will work. As soon as you minimize the textbox they stop working. Unminimize it and they're back to working.

Shortcuts work:

UnMinimized.JPG

Shortcuts stop working:

Minimized.JPG

My workaround has been to leave it open all the time as annoying as it is.

Message 27 of 52
SBix26
in reply to: DanSingleton

Wow! How did you figure that one out?

Unfortunately, this isn't the sole cause of this problem, because I have never touched that control as far as I know.  I haven't lost the keyboard shortcuts for several months, now, so I'm not sure whether anything has changed in the software or whether something else (OS patches?) has changed.  But I'm not declaring victory, yet, especially since your post.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 28 of 52
jdits7
in reply to: SBix26

Way to go Dan, that is exactly what the problem was. Now all we need is for Autodesk to see this and acnowledge that there is a bug so they can get it fixed for next release. Thank you very much.

jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
Message 29 of 52
DanSingleton
in reply to: jdits7

I can't really recall how I came across it mostly by accident and a bit of luck while I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on.

Glad it helped some people.

Message 30 of 52
swhite
in reply to: blaste

Sometimes you have to press enter after you hit the keyboard shortcut, sorta like you did in autocad. Especially if you have autocad archetecture installed as well.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 31 of 52
alenard
in reply to: swhite

Dan! You solved my problem! My god, this is wonderful...

Still an issue in 2014, good going Autodesk. 😐
Message 32 of 52
swhite
in reply to: blaste

Do you have autocad archetecture installed? I don't think it's your shortcuts are not working. Mine does the same thing and I have to press the keyboard shortcut and then press enter, like you would in autocad. I too have checked every setting, and still I must press enter after the keyboard shortcut to get them to work. Try that next time, let me know if you have to do the same thing. Mine operates under the command alias now, even though none of my settings are set for this action.

Bottom left of screen:

command alias.PNG

It should be noted that not all commands do this, such as cntrl+p, ctrl+o, etc.

Also it never did this until the company switched from mechanical to archetecture. Seems it is an added thing when architecture is installed.

command alias.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 33 of 52
DanSingleton

It's not specific to AutoCAD Architecture. We run AutoCAD Mechanical and have the problem. If anything, I think it's solely related to the comm center/360 toolbar being extended or not extended.

The unfortunate part is that because I have to keep that next to completely useless 360 toolbar extended, it makes using the actual productive toolbar buttons on the opposite side of the screen harder to access. I have to click a down arrow, or hold my mouse on the toolbar to get it to dropdown the buttons so I can click them.  Probably not an issue for people using widescreen monitors, but mine's not.

What's surprising is Autodesk failing to fix such an easily produced, extremely annoying, bug for at least four releases now. (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014).

Message 34 of 52
swhite

No, my comm center/360 toolbar has always been displayed, and I still have to hit enter after the shortcut key, while I did not have to do it before installing archetecture. But IT installed Inventor, not me, and I do know that during installation it asks if you want to have inventor work similar to autocad, to which I always choose no when I do the install.

Have tried every setting here, all it does it pop-up an alias command prompt selection window.

Prompts.PNG

I am wondering if it might be because our template is saved as an Inventor DWG and not an IDW????? Could this cause the shortcut aliases to be overiden by autocad settings? Does anyone else that has this problem have their template saved as an IDW?

For example, B for baloon works without hiting enter, but S for sketch requires hitting enter, even though no other command in inventor uses S.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 35 of 52
DanSingleton

We also use the Inventor .DWG as our template. Shouldn't matter though, the issue happens in more than just drawing files. It also happens in .IPT and .IAM as well.

Also, hitting Enter after using one of the non-functional shortcuts does nothing on my system.

Message 36 of 52
swhite

Strange, although you are correct it behaves the same in drawing, parts or assemblies, but I just hit enter and they work. Try this setting, at least it should make them work when you hit enter.

Prompting.PNG

Plus it will list all the command prompts starting with the letter pressed.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 37 of 52
Anonymous

Thanks, Dan!
I just experienced this for the first time in Inventor 2014 but couldn't figure out why. My 22" screen isn't wide enough to show all the default buttons and still see a reasonable amount of the actual title.
--Bryan

@DanSingleton wrote:

I've found that if you have the text box for the help search showing then the shortcuts will work. As soon as you minimize the textbox they stop working. Unminimize it and they're back to working.

Shortcuts work:

UnMinimized.JPG

Shortcuts stop working:

Minimized.JPG

My workaround has been to leave it open all the time as annoying as it is.

Message 38 of 52
samiharada
in reply to: Anonymous

The issue you described (Keyboard shortcuts do not work when InfoCenter search is collapsed) has been known as DID 1349505 in our product database.

I added this URL to the DID and let developer knows about your feedback.

Best,

-Sami Harada

Inventor Framework QA

Autodesk, Inc.

Email_Signature_Logobar.jpg

Message 39 of 52
BarryZA
in reply to: samiharada

Dan for president!

Message 40 of 52
bgingerich

Thanks a bunch, Dan! I downloaded and installed Inventor afresh to try and fix it. This is the only thing that worked. Just wish you could get rid of that bar like in vanilla.
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Brandon Gingerich

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report