Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining two lines (Straight and fillet) in Inventor 2013

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Deathmetal34
5453 Views, 6 Replies

Joining two lines (Straight and fillet) in Inventor 2013

I have searched the discussion groep and have not came up with any usefull information.

I have an inside web plate sketch that i want to offset but my offset does only do one line at a time.

So my problem basicly is that I want it to do the whole sketch in one click. Is it possible to join all the lines? or is there another function that I do not know of that will do this for me.

Please help thank you

Attached is photos of the problem I have

1 picture - How do I join these lines

2 picture - How the whole sketch looks

3 picture - The offset does only do one line at a time (i want it to do the whole sketch)

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

The trick is to NOT use fillets in sketches. I can imagine you know why.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Thanks but the response is not helpful.

Message 4 of 7

Do you run Inventor 2012? If so you can upload your model and I could take a look. 
Edit: Oops didn't the Title good enough. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Where are the dimensions on your sketches?  When you sketch in Inventor you automatically get connections between adjacent elements (coincident constraints).  When you import from AutoCAD, you have an option to create those coincident constraints, but it's not checked by default.  I see in your first image that your sketch is fully constrained, yet the endpoints are not coincident and I don't see any evidence of dimensions.  How did you produce this sketch?  I strongly recommend that you go over this document in detail, then try your part again: http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf 

All that aside, you are correct that Inventor should perform the offset on the whole connected path, which it will do if the whole path is connected.

If you go through the above document and get stuck again, post your file here and someone will point you in the right direction.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 6 of 7
swhite
in reply to: Deathmetal34

If your sketch makes a closed shape you can right click on a line and select close loop, then select all the lines around. This will make the lines a single line entity for your offset. 

When you first select offset, right-click a line and make sure your Loop Select option is selected, I believe this is your main problem with only one line being selected.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 7 of 7

Hi Deathmetal34,

Attached is an alternative method that you might consider. It uses more of a 3D solid modeling approach and steps away from the more 2D sketched based approach. The key is to keep the base sketches as simple as possible. I would encourage you to think about your Inventor designs in this way, as I think you'll find Inventor (or Solidworks or Pro-E, etc.) much more accommodating.

More on simple sketches:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/03/inventor-101-simple-fully-constrained.html

However, if you feel you must create the entire profile in a 2D sketch, I would encourage you to reserve the fillets and offsets for the 3D tools as was previously suggested and simply create your "zig-zag" as an extruded surface to start with, then place the 3D fillets on the extuded surface feature, then use the 3D Thicken/Offset tool to create the solid.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report