Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iv dwg files wont open after editing in Acad

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
satch428
259 Views, 2 Replies

Iv dwg files wont open after editing in Acad

Inventor Pro 2013 crashes when opening a dwg file(created in Inventor) after editing in ACAD 2013. Any thoughts??

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
EScales
in reply to: satch428

Several questions come to mind.

Does this only happen with one specific dwg file or any dwg file?

Are you saving it as an Inventor dwg file or doing a save as to an AutoCAD dwg file while in Inventor?

Are you editing it in AutoCAD Mechanical or plain AutoCAD?

Do you have all service packs installed for both Inventor and AutoCAD?

After editing in AutoCAD, are you saving it again as a 2013 format dwg or saving it back to a previous version dwg?

Can you detail out your steps to see if we can duplicate this problem?

Message 3 of 3
satch428
in reply to: EScales

Both Inventor & ACAD are up to date, service pack wise. It is plain jane ACAD not mechanical. It is a native inventor dwg (per our client) not a "file save as ACAD", all in 2013 files. Specific steps leading to this are...  

• Redlines required changes for FInish schedules / hardware schedules(tables) etc. Tables are ACAD blocks (not dynamic or annotative. These blocks are just a a couple of rectangels with mtext, on IV layers / text styles, etc.).
  • open dwg in ACAD to Edit table blocks. No geometry or "view" changes, just altering text in the block.
  • save / close ACAD, reopen inventor to try & view / print, and it crashes. Tried multiple ways to open. Open .iam / .ipn's first, then open .dwg... still crashes. I even tried purge / audit in ACAD, and still crashes.

This has happened with multiple files for this client. I suppose there could be some "bug" in there dwg template, but it has never popped up before. I am at a loss...

I have worked around this and altered all these files to how they should be done, with proper IV tables. This brings me to my ultimate fix of dont open / put anything in IV files that need ACAD for any reason, as they dont play nice together. I have moved past this, but am still wondering why / what...

Thanks for your time...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report