Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isometric Shaft Dimension

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
KyleMJewell
2184 Views, 11 Replies

Isometric Shaft Dimension

Trying to dimension a shaft in isometric view with various diameters. I am unable to find or select the centerpoints at the ends of the shaft. This causes dimensions to be crooked. How can i get the centerpoints to display so that they may be selected?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Hi KyleMJewell, 

If you select the arcs with the General Dimension tool you should get the result you're after (be sure not to select the green dots though). Note that you can use the Space bar to toggle through the avalable placement planes.

The green dots are object snaps. If you start the General Dimension tool and then right-click you should see a Snap Settings flyout menu, where you can control which snaps show up. But I don't you need to adjust these in this particular case.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Autodesk Inventor Shaft Dimension.png

Message 3 of 12

Hi KyleMJewell,

Also, once you've selected an arc you can right-click to find the Diameter and Use Sheet Plane options for the diameter dims.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Autodesk Inventor Shaft Dimension 2.png

Autodesk Inventor Shaft Dimension 1.png

Autodesk Inventor Shaft Dimension 3.png

Message 4 of 12

This method works if there is no modification to the shaft such as the threads or woodruff keyseat which prevent it from automatically recognizing centerpoints. I have tried several times and it still does not work.

Message 5 of 12

Hi KyleMJewell,

Can you provide us an example part file that demonstrates the issue you're seeing?

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 6 of 12

Here is the part that I am having trouble with dimensioning. You may notice that the thread is coil cut because I needed it created that way.

Message 7 of 12

Hi KyleMJewell,

You're correct it is the coil cuts that are causing the issue, since they result in an edge that isn't a true arc. Unfortunately, I didn't really see an easy solution to placing those dimensions in that view. The best I could do was to turn on the hidden lines and scrub over each edge until I located the (very tiny) edge that was an arc, and then I used that to find the center point. Then I turned off the hidden lines.

I'm not sure that provides a very robust solution,  but it did work.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 8 of 12

Out of curiousity have you tried putting work points on your part prior to any modification cuts, then bringing those work points into the drawing for the dimensioning and either switching them to a different point style or turning them off after your dimension is set.

It should be a bit more 'robust' for future changes in length and you have points at the centers that can be used. I have always found that though a face/feature may change drastically if I put a work point at the right step my part will be extremely robust and almost impossible to break, the dimensions on drawings rarely drop out for that matter on the finer details.

----------------------------
Kristopher Reaves
Message 9 of 12
KyleMJewell
in reply to: KyleMJewell

When i attempted the work point method i was not able to grab the point when dimensioning.

Message 10 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Curtis,

Does this only work with Radius or Diameter dimensions?  In the picture below, I'd like to get the notes and linear dimensions onto the same plane... one or the other, I have no preference which.

cut.JPG

Message 11 of 12
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: cbenner

Hi cbenner,

You can set a linear dimension to use the sheet plane, but it won't calculate correctly. But it might work if you overide the value and place notes instead. Or you might be able to place a linear dimension and hide an arrowhead, exension line, etc. to make it look like a leader. But I don't know of a way to get a leader note to park on a model plane.

I suppose you could cheat and place some small circular phantom part in your assembly to use for placement of a diameter dimension and then overide it to use as a leader note. Smiley Frustrated

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 12 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Thanks Curtis.

Thankfully this is an oddball drawing, and we don't normally do this.  I recall back in the horse & buggy days having to create special text styles in AutoCad to do this on isometric drawings for a show and tell.  RRRG!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report