Inventor General

KyleMJewell
Message 1 of 12 (812 Views)

Isometric Shaft Dimension

812 Views, 11 Replies
04-09-2012 10:09 AM

Trying to dimension a shaft in isometric view with various diameters. I am unable to find or select the centerpoints at the ends of the shaft. This causes dimensions to be crooked. How can i get the centerpoints to display so that they may be selected?

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 2 of 12 (797 Views)

Re: Isometric Shaft Dimension

04-09-2012 10:48 AM in reply to: KyleMJewell

Hi KyleMJewell, 

If you select the arcs with the General Dimension tool you should get the result you're after (be sure not to select the green dots though). Note that you can use the Space bar to toggle through the avalable placement planes.

The green dots are object snaps. If you start the General Dimension tool and then right-click you should see a Snap Settings flyout menu, where you can control which snaps show up. But I don't you need to adjust these in this particular case.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Autodesk Inventor Shaft Dimension.png

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 3 of 12 (777 Views)

04-09-2012 11:04 AM in reply to: KyleMJewell

Hi KyleMJewell,

Also, once you've selected an arc you can right-click to find the Diameter and Use Sheet Plane options for the diameter dims.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Autodesk Inventor Shaft Dimension 2.png

Autodesk Inventor Shaft Dimension 1.png

Autodesk Inventor Shaft Dimension 3.png

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

KyleMJewell
Message 4 of 12 (768 Views)

04-09-2012 11:11 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

This method works if there is no modification to the shaft such as the threads or woodruff keyseat which prevent it from automatically recognizing centerpoints. I have tried several times and it still does not work.

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 5 of 12 (763 Views)

04-09-2012 11:14 AM in reply to: KyleMJewell

Hi KyleMJewell,

Can you provide us an example part file that demonstrates the issue you're seeing?

I hope this helps.
Curtis

KyleMJewell
Message 6 of 12 (753 Views)

04-09-2012 11:22 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Here is the part that I am having trouble with dimensioning. You may notice that the thread is coil cut because I needed it created that way.

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 7 of 12 (727 Views)

04-09-2012 01:27 PM in reply to: KyleMJewell

Hi KyleMJewell,

You're correct it is the coil cuts that are causing the issue, since they result in an edge that isn't a true arc. Unfortunately, I didn't really see an easy solution to placing those dimensions in that view. The best I could do was to turn on the hidden lines and scrub over each edge until I located the (very tiny) edge that was an arc, and then I used that to find the center point. Then I turned off the hidden lines.

I'm not sure that provides a very robust solution,  but it did work.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Contributor
KristopherReaves8819
Message 8 of 12 (721 Views)

04-09-2012 01:45 PM in reply to: KyleMJewell

Out of curiousity have you tried putting work points on your part prior to any modification cuts, then bringing those work points into the drawing for the dimensioning and either switching them to a different point style or turning them off after your dimension is set.

It should be a bit more 'robust' for future changes in length and you have points at the centers that can be used. I have always found that though a face/feature may change drastically if I put a work point at the right step my part will be extremely robust and almost impossible to break, the dimensions on drawings rarely drop out for that matter on the finer details.

----------------------------
Kristopher Reaves
KyleMJewell
Message 9 of 12 (679 Views)

04-10-2012 10:53 AM in reply to: KyleMJewell

When i attempted the work point method i was not able to grab the point when dimensioning.

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 10 of 12 (621 Views)

04-20-2012 08:29 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Curtis,

Does this only work with Radius or Diameter dimensions?  In the picture below, I'd like to get the notes and linear dimensions onto the same plane... one or the other, I have no preference which.

cut.JPG

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube