Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an easy way to place 2D steel profiles in a part file as a sketch?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
conbuc
414 Views, 4 Replies

Is there an easy way to place 2D steel profiles in a part file as a sketch?

This is a spin-off question from an earlier post of mine (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Content-center-favorites-pane-is-empty/td-p/3622738)

I am looking for the best way to place multiple columns in a single part file (as independant parts). I want to do this to accurately represent a steel structure that we purchase with a single part number. The structure is purchased and not modified so I figured a single part file would be better than an assembly file with multiple parts.

I thought the best way would be to extrude a 2D wide flange beam profile. However I would like to just pick the profile from a database (content center?) instead of going through the hassle of sketching each profile manually.

Is there an easy way to do this?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: conbuc

I would just do the simple beam representation in Frame-Gen. Whether it comes in as a single IPT or IAM it's still just a single item.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
conbuc
in reply to: blair

That will work for some structures, however this structure specifically is a silo with a 10' stand under it. I don't think Frame Gen will accurately represent that? I have attached a screen shot showing what I am trying to model in 1 part file.

I understand it just may not be feasible. If anyone has any other ideas on the best way to approach this I am very open to suggestions.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: conbuc

You could model as multti-body solid

Structural.PNGiFeatures.png

or

Model as assembly and save or derive to a single part file.

or

import from someone else's finished design.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
conbuc
in reply to: JDMather

JD, you're first suggestion is exactly what I was hoping to do. Unfortunately if you look at my other post: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Content-center-favorites-pane-is-empty/td-p/3622738  I don't have any content center parts shown where you have them shown.

I'm hoping if I solve that problem the rest will fall into place!

Thank you for your help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report