Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to know if part fits by moving it?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
es12
391 Views, 8 Replies

Is it possible to know if part fits by moving it?

I need to find out how much smaller the part in the upper image is so it fits inside the similar shape in the bottom image. The real part is a bit more complicated so it's hard to calculate if it fits. Is it possible to make those parts in assembly mode so that they don't move through each other and I could move the upper part inside the lower and find out that way if it fits?

http://i.imgur.com/jR1xv.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: es12

Yes.
Attach your assembly here.

Of course if you use multi-body or derived component or top-down modeling techniques you know exactly how the parts fit together from the time of creation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
es12
in reply to: JDMather

I haven't done the parts yet. I would like to learn the way to "virtually" test which size part fits and then when I know the size I will start drawing them.

Message 4 of 9
jeanchile

@es12 wrote:

I haven't done the parts yet. I would like to learn the way to "virtually" test which size part fits and then when I know the size I will start drawing them.

This sounds like the mindset of someone who is used to using AutoCAD or 2D. Don't worry, we were all stuck there at one point I think. There are several ways that I can think of to accomplish what you want and they all start with training in the software. You can use one simple sketch and then create a multi-body part file from there, then write those out to an assembly file.

The beauty of this workflow (and IV in general) is that you haven't wasted any time (and excess geometry) like your post is implying you are going to do. You don't need to figure it out first, then model it because the program is parametric. You can figure it out while you are modelling it.

Good luck!

Inventor Professional
Message 5 of 9
es12

Yes I switched from AutoCAD. I've done assemblies with my other parts in Inventor already, but I haven't figured out how to make the parts so they don't go through each other when moved.

Message 6 of 9
jeanchile

For that you need to constrain them together only enough to restrict their movement (i.e. so they slide freely in the direction you want them to) and use the contact solver. Right click the parts in the browser (in your assembly) and select the "contact set" option. Then turn on the contact solver from the ribbon (I think it's on an "inspect" tab or something).

Hope that helps.

Inventor Professional
Message 7 of 9
es12
in reply to: jeanchile

That worked almost perfectly (it's a bit hard to move the part though). Only problems is that when I try to move it out from the hole the part jumps out and doesn't slide like it would normally. It also jumps through the part some times when moving the part in.

Message 8 of 9
jeanchile

I think the contact solver is only intended to be used as a temporary thing for demonstrations and things and it is VERY CPU heavy so you should turn it off when you aren't using it. If you want more control I would suggest looking into using constraints and animating them (it's not difficult) or using IV studio. There are ways to link dimensions to your constraints so that they only move a certain amount to simulate the actual movement without using the contact solver.

Good luck.

Inventor Professional
Message 9 of 9
es12
in reply to: jeanchile

Ok. Thanks for the help. I will try those tricks tomorrow.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report