Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Solid Works really better or just better on sales strategy?

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
Mustang69
947 Views, 28 Replies

Is Solid Works really better or just better on sales strategy?

I am a long time user of Inventor / Auto Cad and has been satisfied with the program.

But I have always disliked the Autodesk non existing support/customer service. Now I got proof again that  Autodesk don't care about customers.....Just the $$$$

The company I work for have used the products since Auto Cad 1.0 !

Now I use Inventor series and was interested in Inventor Pro for FEM analysis

I figured that now was the chance for SW to show what they got.

First I contacted Autodesk and said I was interested in Inventor Pro but also told them I at the same time was looking at SW.

Of course as an long, long  time customer I thought I would get a good deal from AutoDesk when I was threatening with SW.

The quotation came by mail and was equal to the pricelist! 😕 

Got extra 30 day payment....Thanx a lot for that great deal!!! Ehhhhh 😞

So I called SW.

Of course they was hungry to eat up another AutoDesk customer so 3 persons came over to us within days and gave us a GREAT demo....I got amazed by how great the SW support are...They cares a lot when the program is delivered and a technician is dedicated the first 30-days to check we really starts in the right direction.

Price about the same.

I contacted Autodesk again and told them I didn't like the deal and asked them again if they could come over and maybe look over the quote.

No I already got the best deal and I they never even tried to send over a sales person. 😕

I canceled the Inventor subscription only for poor relations.

The program I like but SW gave me a nice feeling.

Seams like SW sells 10:1 the amount of seats so just that tips the scale over for them.

Only favor I now got for Inventor is that I have made about 10.000 parts/assemblies in that program so that's a big hang up for that program.

So is really SW a better program or are they only better on customer relation?

Are there more people here that have same experience as my story above?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
Paul-Mason
in reply to: Mustang69

I agree 100% that customer service sucks.

The first and last time I called customer service I got some Indian or Pakistani bloke that could beryl speak or understand English.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 3 of 29
sam_m
in reply to: Paul-Mason

@Paul-Mason wrote:

I agree 100% that customer service sucks.

The first and last time I called customer service I got some Indian or Pakistani bloke that could beryl speak or understand English.

Ignoring borderline racist comments (on an international forum), it's good when people complain about English and then spectacularly screw up spelling barely...

Back to topic...

Did you try another VAR?  I admit that my dealings with VARs are mixed - some are willing to bend over backwards and are great, while others seem content with the bare minimum.  Not all are equal, while still offering the full Autodesk software range it's quite evident some are more specialized in certain areas and can struggle when pushed for help/questions for products outside their field of interest.

No, I'm not making excuses, or suggesting that the system is good, but if I'm buying a car (or pretty much anything expensive) I'll shop about and get competitive quotes.  Same goes for my Autodesk software - I'll get quotes from multiple VARs and equally get an impression of their customer-support and product-knowledge for the software I'm purchasing.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 4 of 29
ampster401
Message 5 of 29
Cadmanto

Let me chime in here.  Having been a long time SW user, I am still adjusting to the Inventor world.

When I was using SW the VAR we had was awesome.  They were local and very much willing to work OT to help solve your issue.  The VAR we have for Inventor, is a big nationwide establishment and have swept us under the carpet many times.  Unfortunately I as a user have no say when it comes to picking who our VAR is.  What I will tell you is having been a stout user of the SW forum, it was very difficult to get answers let alone favorable ones from the powers at be at SW.  I can say explictly that this forum is hands down better then the SW one.  I see and have interacted with Autodesk employees several times that have worked hard to find solutions to my problems.  I also continue to see that this company (Autodesk) is continually working hard to try and improve the product listening to the users.  No, I am not an Autodesk employee.  I am saying this based on what I have experienced to this point.

So, yes you can get a great deal out of the box price wise, and that is important, but by you wanting to switch to SW just because they give you a better price?  When your experience is with Inventor?  Becareful!!!!  This could be a pay my now or pay me later case.  Meaning what you save out of the box may just get eaten up in training.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated.  Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 29

nice link, how do you do that?

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 7 of 29

Let Me Google That For You

http://lmgtfy.com/

Message 8 of 29
Mustang69
in reply to: Cadmanto

We have change dealer two times with no better result.

This forum is nice but does not help regarding setting up the program on site etc

As it is now I se Autodesk in the same way as UPS.....They deliver a program by mail......barely!
Latest 2013 edition they send a download link....Getting it physical was optional.

When paying 2000$/year for each seat for only a download link I feel left alone as a customer.

The price on SW is exactly the same as Inventor but they claim much better involvement and support.

A program is no better than how it is used.... I know we got several upgrades that never got installed because poor help.

Are there anyone here who can say that they are very satisfied with their VAR?
Message 9 of 29
gsmith9810

It seems that you have been a forum member for seven years?

I would expect that having participated here for that long that you would know that MANY members here have a love/hate relationship with any/all CAD systems they have installed.

Same is true with VAR's.

- Gary

INV 2011 on W7

-------------------------------------------------------
Gary Smith
Inventor Product Design Suite 2013sp2
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 10 of 29
Mustang69
in reply to: gsmith9810

Well this forum is my last option. You may also se how few questions I placed here then.
The language and time distance is a barrier for me.

To answer your question... No I have not browsed this forum just to search for love/hate remarks.

Again. A forum can't replace human interactions
Message 11 of 29
VdVeek

At my former job, i had a really good Solid Edge Reseller here in Holland. Smiley Happy

But is your reseller/money the most important thing when it comes to the decision which Cad-software you choose? How is the learning-time for a new cad-program? Is the functionality the same? What about the parts you allready have?

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional & Autodesk Inventor 2012 Certified Professional.
Message 12 of 29
gsmith9810

Agreed,

My first way to get an answer is to ask somebody whom I trust that I suspect will probably have the answer.

I used to be quite knowledgeable with regard to Inventor. After being away from it for four years, not so much these days. I am using it now on a daily basis and find that this forum is still VERY useful (to me).

So, back to your original question: Is SWX really better? I think the answer is maybe.

It depends what you are doing, how your system is configured, how comfortable you are with the tools you have and a number of other factors.

I would likely not be as productive using SWX as I am using INV. I suspect that after a while I would be.

Gary Smith
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 13 of 29
Cadmanto

Sounds like your mind might already be made up.

With regards to your upgrades not being installed, that seems to be more on your IT department then your VAR.

Seeing how you have been a member of this forum for 7 years and have hardly posted, maybe you need to be a little more proactive on this forum.  There are several sections including an installation and licensing forum.  You should be able to post there and get maybe better results.

As far as the time zone point?  This is an international forum with users all over the world in all timezones so you should be able to get answers at any time.

My advice would be to stick with Inventor, upgrade to the latest, then if you aren't getting answers from your VAR, get plugged into these forums and get your solutions/answers here. 

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated.  Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 14 of 29
Mustang69
in reply to: VdVeek

Learning time for Inventor is several years....why?

They haven't active given us education and when we asked for it the courses has been very limited or the only option has been training on site=expensive.

How often have we been contacted from a sales person regarding news or just for checking how we are doing....Never!
Only on demand

Functionality looks to be the same but that's also why I am asking for advice here.
SW claims that we will be productive within some week.....well I am aware of the sale talk but that claim Is better than nothing

What about parts we have? Well I don't care. There is anyway problems among different Inventor program's.

Most times we starts a new part anyway.
Message 15 of 29
Mustang69
in reply to: Cadmanto

No we have not closed the door for Inventor
Just frustration at the moment!

The forum cost 0$ for Autodesk ....very convenient for them!
Message 16 of 29
gsmith9810

You >>should<< be able to work through the tutorials that Inventor supplies and learn to be productive modeling prismatic parts in less than a week.

The features of SWX and INV are very similar.

I don't know where you are located geographically but certainly the strength of your local reseller for either product is going to have a HUGE impact on the perception that you have of the tool.

If your job is to use the tool 8 hours a day x 5 days a week (or more) you deserve to have instructor lead training. If your employer will not spend THAT money ALL of the time you spend struggling will EASILY equal the cost of training in a very short time.

It should be EASY to cost justify training.

Gary Smith
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 17 of 29
AllenJessup

It's often the case of "We're #2. We try harder". I don't know if that applies to the software or the reseller. I use Civil 3D and our reseller is great. Did you ever try contacting Autodesk directly with questions about your reseller? If they don't know they may think the reseller is doing a good job. If they're loosing business because of them. They might want to know.

If you're happy with SW then you may have made the right choice for you. If it's the reseller support you are happy with. I hope they stay in business. I had one reseller go out of business even though they were very good to us. I took me a couple of times to find another good one.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 18 of 29
AllenJessup

@Mustang69 wrote:

The forum cost 0$ for Autodesk ....very convenient for them!

Not exactly true. They pay for the Lithium software and maybe hosting. I know of several people at Autodesk whose only job is to monitor and organize the forums. I know that they also officially monitor the Installation & Licensing forum to give help and most other forums on an unofficial basis.

They're also moving to other outlets as well. You can get help on Twitter from @AutodeskHelp .

I know this isn't going to help you. But it may help the next person who is looking to make a similar decision.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 19 of 29

Sorry to hear of your troubles, been there, done that.

But I never really had any issues with AutoDesk themselves the few times I've dealt with them...they were always very helpful. As far as the resellers go (and I have to assume that's what you're talking about here), I've only had an issue with one. They were no where to be found until it came time for renewal, then they were at the door, taking me to lunch, handing me swag, etc.

The final straw was when I got a call from another reseller about 4 hours away, the woman was originally from this area and was going to be in town visiting family. She took me out to lunch and we talked about a few issues I was dealing with, put me right thru to their support guys and by the end of that day, all the issues I was fighting to get resolved for months with me reseller, were addressed and resolved by the other house. They also called or contacted me every now and then to make sure things were going good and if I was having any other issues, they would even give me a heads up for updates, etc....and they weren't even getting paid!

So I asked the question as to why are we paying for service from our reseller when it's these other guys doing all the work and helping us out? I wrote to Adesk, explained the issue, provided documentation to prove my case and they authorized the switch.

I won't mention the bad reseller out here but I'll gladly point out the good one, Imaginit. I've always, ALWAYS had great service from Imaginit no matter where I was, whether I was out on the East coast or the West coast, each Imaginit office has been great in my experience, I'd recommend them highly.

Now as far as SW being better.....SW was a bit better in software a few years back (prior to 2009), but since then, no, not even close. Inventor has blown right passed SW in abilities when it comes to the software. I've worked with both and still do from time to time, but I've stayed with Inventor in my business manily for its abilities of dealing with all the other platforms out there. I don't have to limit my business to just "Inventor" clients. If I had SW, I'd be pigeonholed into only dealing with clients that have SW for the most part. With Inventor, I can work with any of the other platforms out there for the most part.

Also, I have clients that have very tight toleranced parts....3 to 4 decimal place. Back in 2009, my main client did a benchmark test of the two side by side as they were in the position to decide which one to go with (they had both obviously). It was found that when importing neutral files into SW, 60% of the time, the edges or faces were off as of the 3 decimal place, Inventor? Inventor was 100% accurate to the 9th decimal place. That sealed it for them. There was no way they were going to risk their million dollar product with a 60% failure risk. Would you? Granted, most places may not need that kind of tolerancing, but what if you did?

SW has a bit of a market presence because their salesforce dumped every university with free software. A great sales ploy and it's worked to a point so far, but at what cost to the clients?

Besides, I'd rather have the freedom to design in a workflow I choose which is another big issue Inventor allows, not so with SW....no, you are locked into the workflow Dessault Sytems thinks you should follow.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 20 of 29
jletcher

Mustang69,

No you are correct Autodesk is chasing instead of leading when it comes to solid works.

Now back when Inventor came out, Autodesk did care they listen and even jump thru hoops to get it fixed.

But now that they have dragged enough users from Autocad to Inventor they no longer fear solid works taking as many of the autocad users.

Now the only ones they care about is the stock holders.

Now solid Works is good but has flaws as well but I do see them fixing the issues. They also do not leave old versions hanging with issues. So you don't have to upgrade to get bugs fixed. I had a real old version had an issue they sent me a patch in about 2 days.

Maybe some day they will get back to the roots they came, but for now they do not care maybe when people no longer buy subscription they will but till then nope..

Good luck.........

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report