Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Inventor a drawing tool or engineering tool?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
rodl
1373 Views, 11 Replies

Is Inventor a drawing tool or engineering tool?

Inventor the tool for professional engineers? Yes , or is Inventor a tool for drawing 3D pictures. I was quite sad to hear an engineer say that they have moved into management and do not use Inventor because Inventor is for drafting persons and not engineers. Engineers need to calculate and design not draw. Is Inventor moving from engineering to a drawing program? Lets face it AutoCad is the best drawing program around. Is the presumption that Inventor being a Autodesk product is just another "better drafting package" One of the problems in engineering products for production is tolerance analyst. Lets see what Inventor has got? A tolerance calculator, yes but how useful is it. Well it plain sucks. that is Ok we can use excel spreadsheets. It has being that way for years. But what is Solidworks doing with TolAnalyst.... This is what I would expect Inventor to do, only better. The power of a decent tolerance calculator with 3D GD&T dimension in the model. This is what Engineers need. The fancy drawing IDW, DWG files are secondary. Another thing on tolerance. Why is it you can only add tolerance in sketches. Why can you not add tolerance to extrusions and flanges in sheet metal? Is this the old 2D drawing thinking? Engineers need more and better tools built into Inventor to change it from a drawing package to an engineering package. This is just one example. Is Inventor turning into a fancy drawing tool or is it an engineering tool? I will let you decide.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
stephenrottloff7259
in reply to: rodl

According to the internet, my table saw sucks.  Yet, I built a sharp looking entertainment center with it.  I will let you decide.

Message 3 of 12
karthur1

It's both.  But, there are definetly areas that needs to be improved on the engineering side.  Take for example, any of the Power Transmission calculators on the Design tab. There is some great information there, if we knew how to use it.  As an engineer, I have tried to use the "Press Fit Calculator" and struggled with it.... ended up doing it by hand or with a different calculator.

JD posted about the lack of information in this area a while back in this post.

Kirk

Message 4 of 12

@stephenrottloff7259 wrote:

According to the internet, my table saw sucks.  Yet, I built a sharp looking entertainment center with it.  I will let you decide.

I'll need pictures if I'm going to make a decision here.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
CelticDesignServices

I'd have to say it's both. I've seen plenty of places that use it mainly for modeling and detailing where only the drafters and designers have access to it. Other places I've seen engineers use it right along side the drafters and designers.

Inventor is in no way a one trick pony, it all comes down to how you use it or what you want to use it for.

Based on my experience with both Inventor and SW side by side at one client, Inventor was used more often by the Engineers, even ones that came in as SW users. Once they got their bearings on how to use Inventor, they basically refused to go back to SW.

The last time I've seen and used SW it was basically a glorified drafting tool....it allowed you to create nice models and was fairly capable of detailing those models...but then again I know numerous places that will model in SW and then detail those models in ACad....what's that tell you about detailing in SW?

Again, if you want to use the Engineering aspects of Inventor, I'd dive in deep and learn how to use the tools it offers. Granted, they may have some issues but please tell me a software that is this complex that doesn't have any issues at all? Hell, how many times in a single month do we need to accept updates for Windows or Adobe? And don't even get me started on the number of service packs and patches SW forced me to keep up with.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 6 of 12
graemev

"Is Inventor a drawing tool or engineering tool?"

One could ask the same question about a pencil.  I'd say it depends on the skill of the operator.

Message 7 of 12

Just going through some of my old posts and found this request for a photo   : )

photo.JPG

Message 8 of 12

Well, I don't know about your table saw, but your entertainment center definitely doesn't suck.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
blair
in reply to: LT.Rusty

As posted, both, depending on the level and competence of the user. You can have, straight CAD people designing and assembling models, while at the same time you can have users analyzing the model through FEA or using the Design Analysis to check the welds, springs and bearings, or doing Dynamic Simulation on the model/assembly.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 12
JDMather

@rodl wrote:
... to hear an engineer say that they have moved into management and do not use Inventor because Inventor is for drafting persons and not engineers. ...

Promoted beyond their level of competence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
Cadmanto

I agree with pretty much what has been said in response already.  It is both.  It all depends on perspective, training and what your ambition is to use the tool.  Do you know what every button does on your calculator?  I would guess not.  Most people don't, yet we still use them and they do what we need them to do.  When you look up at the clouds, does everyone see the same thing?  Of course not.  So you can either complain about Inventor or you can be proactive and learn what you don't know about it and develop into the user you need to be with it making it work like you want it to.  And if there is a feature that needs to work better or functionality that is missing, place it here in a respectful way.

Inventor IdeaStation

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 12 of 12
LT.Rusty
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

@rodl wrote:
... to hear an engineer say that they have moved into management and do not use Inventor because Inventor is for drafting persons and not engineers. ...

Promoted beyond their level of competence.

Yep.  Glad that guy isn't my boss.

Cadmanto wrote:

Do you know what every button does on your calculator?  I would guess not.  Most people don't, yet we still use them and they do what we need them to do.

The manual for my calculator is >600 pages.  The quick start guide is over a hundred pages thick.  After almost 20 years with this calculator, I still have no idea how to do most of what it's capable of doing!  Inventor is a LOT bigger and more capable than that calculator.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report