Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor will not start

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
geoff
4310 Views, 10 Replies

Inventor will not start

When I try to start Inventor 2010 the hour glass icon appears for about 3 seconds then it goes and nothing else happens, Inventor doesn't start. I then tried Autocad 2010 and the Licence Transfer Utility with the same result, nothing happens.
I used Inventor yesterday and all was normal, the problem has just appeared.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the software but this did not fix the problem. All the other applications on my computer work OK.
Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a solution?
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: geoff

it sounds like you have a corrupt inventor profile on your user login. this happened a lot when vista was first being used moreso couple years back. i had to deal with it twice on my own workstation.

what is your operating system? if vista or windows 7 you can rename your roaming profile folder so that inventor cannot see it and when you next start inventor it will create the folders anew.

i am going from memory from a year or more ago so there will be more accurate info and perhaps the actual folder path for your operating system noted within this forum if you search the topic.

-mark.
best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 3 of 11
mikegore

Has this issue ever been resolved by Autodesk ? I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64bit, that was upgraded from Vista Pro 64bit.

I have to delete (or rename) my roaming profile at least once every two weeks when this happens to me. Is there a hot fix or anything I can do to make this stop? It only happens to my IV 2009 for Routed Systems.

Thanks,
Mike Gore Edited by: mikegore on Mar 23, 2010 8:11 PM
Message 4 of 11
Mark_Wigan

this seems to be a bit random, and seems to me (i am not an I.T. guru) that is more likely to do with a corrupt user profile on the computer. there seems to be no consistent reason for various people seeing this at random occasions.

i have had it happen on almost identical workstations, where one sees it and the other does not.

i have seen the problem (and work colleagues computer) return after a full reformat of hard drive and reinstall of Operating System and inventor software with all Antivirus turned off.

i have seen the problem go away after a 'rename' of the roaming document inventor folder, sometimes to return once or twice and then never again!

it is interesting that you say it occurs when you use routed systems functions... this could be a clue but i think this is one for the autodesk programmers and microsoft to work out.

i did suspect at one time that vista and windows 7 using "home group" and "library folders" to network in home office environments, that occasionally when programs need to write data back to public document folders etc that the Operating System sometimes saw the public folders (or other folders that users allowed to become part of the 'home group' network) as read only (write access not allowed) that caused this or other related issues that we have to deal with.

maybe if you could configure your computer to NOT use such networking folders or minimise the use of such, and see if there is any change?

-mark.
best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 5 of 11
sanat_tx23_m9l
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

I have experienced this too. I try to rename roaming folder but it can't be renamed. What should I do? I am using Windows 7 32 bit with inventor 2011 installed. It was working well until yesterday I cant open it.

Message 6 of 11
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: sanat_tx23_m9l

You will have to login as a different administrator in order to do anything to the profile that is causing you your problems.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 7 of 11
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: mikegore

Profile degeneration is more of a Microsoft issue than anything else. So hopefully Windows 8 will be better. There are steps one can take to slow the deterioration of one's profile. One of the things I always do is create a dedicated folder for temporary files and then set my Windows environment variables to that folder. Why you ask, because it is easier to find and I clean it out daily. You will be shocked at how much garbage is in there after a days work.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 8 of 11
sanat_tx23_m9l

Is there anything I can do to repair this problem without renaming my roaming folder? Because I am afraid that it would damage my other program that used my romaing folder.

Message 9 of 11

I have the same problem, across multiple user accounts. I tried renaming both the roaming and local Autodesk folders. I tried reinstalling Inventor but it is so difficult to remove that I can't be sure I deleted it all before reinstalling. I even did the nasty and tried running it from an admin account. All to no avail, Inventor closes a few seconds after I start it. There is no error message, so identifying the root cause of the problem is next to impossible. I am trying to run Inventor 2016 Trial and it has never started properly. I am running from Windows 7 (64 bit) on an (relatively) old Athlon II X4 635 processor 2.9 GHz with 8 GB internal. I have sufficient harddisk space and there were no problems during installation. My virus scanner is AVG, it's up to date and it is running as it should.
Message 10 of 11

Hans_Verbeek

Welcome to the community...

For the future questions you may want to start a new posting about your issue and not replying to one that is a few years old... 

What video card do you have in this machine?  Video cards play important role in if Inventor will work or not...

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 11 of 11

I am sorry. I went straight from searching for an answer in old posts to asking without checking the date on the post I was replying to.

According to the ATI Catalyst Control Center I have an ATI Radeon HD 4350

Driver: 8.671-091104a-091528C-ATI

Direct3D 8.14.10.0708

OpenGL 6.14.10.9116

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report