Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor to Maya workflow

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jigen08
9812 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor to Maya workflow

What are the steps necessary in exporting from Inventor to use a file in Maya? What is the recommended file type?

I work on the receiving end (Maya 2011) and I'm trying to work with an Inventor file being sent to me. The file has been exported as .iges, step, .stl, .dwf.

I have the following plugins loaded in Maya: Iges.bundle, DirectConnect.bundle, stlImport.bundle, openInventor.bundle, fbxmaya.bundle.

I've tried loading them with the same error message:

// Error: Failed to find translator. //
// Error: //
// Error: Error reading file. //

I realize this is perhaps more of a Maya question, but I view it as an Autodesk question as one of the reasons we went with Inventor/Maya was the promise of the Autodesk workflow.

Has anyone been able to get this to work successfully? Is there an Autodesk technician who could refer me to a workflow link?

Thanks in advance...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ANDYSYMONDS7962
in reply to: jigen08

You can open a native Inventor file directly in Maya 2011...I have just tried it to make sure and it worked fine for me. Just get your Inventor guy to give you the Pack n Go file which will contain the .ipt and .iam files for you.

the .ipt are individual part files, and the .iam is the master assembly

I am not sure if this is the right way to go concerning polygon count or the ability to edit things if you need to afterwards but the model that came up looked fine to me.

IV, Alias, Maya, Max, Mudbox, Showcase, NavisWorks and Motion Builder 2011

Lenovo D20, Dual Quad-Core i7's
48Gb RAM, 2x fx5800's
Win 7 64Bit
Message 3 of 5
prs
Community Visitor
in reply to: ANDYSYMONDS7962

I cant import the native inventor-files, a lot of iam and ipt-files. When I try it just says unrecognizable filetype... I have loaded the openInventor plugin. Do I have to to do something special when i save the file from Inventor? I need to know the process step by step from inventor to maya 2011 🙂

Best Regards

Poul

Message 4 of 5

I'm having the same problem. I packed the files and it still doesn't recognize them. 

What should I do? 

Message 5 of 5
DarrenP
in reply to: JohnnyKash

you may want to post in the maya forum: http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-maya/

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report