Inventor General

Contributor
Ross33
Message 1 of 7 (1,582 Views)

Inventor surface textures

1582 Views, 6 Replies
05-14-2012 12:10 AM

Hi,

I have modelled a component in Inventor ready for tooling. The component is modelled as an Inventor Part, but in reality is to be pressed steel. I have now been asked to add a textured finish to the product. The texture is stone. My plan is to roll back the features to prior to my shell operation, add the texture details (probably a combinations of adding and subtracting material), then rolling forward the features.

My question is, is there a good method of adding such a texture?! I've tried through sweeps etc, but they all look very sunthetic and not at all natural or "real". I've also spent the good part of the day trying to find a way to bring the file through 3ds max and to mudbox to sculpt, but this is also proving troublesome... and I certainly don't like the idea of bringing a non-adaptive/parametric model back to inventor.

Any help would be great.

Throw some ideas out there and hopefully something will work!

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 2 of 7 (1,571 Views)

Re: Inventor surface textures

05-14-2012 05:14 AM in reply to: Ross33

Just create a new color style and add a "stone" texture map or bump map to that color style. Then apply that color style to the part. No need to model a texture.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

Contributor
Ross33
Message 3 of 7 (1,541 Views)

05-14-2012 04:09 PM in reply to: mcgyvr

Sorry mate, but I need a physical texture in the surface as it will eventually dictate the tooling process.

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 4 of 7 (1,527 Views)

05-15-2012 05:43 AM in reply to: Ross33

Ross33 wrote:

Sorry mate, but I need a physical texture in the surface as it will eventually dictate the tooling process.

It is common practice to simply indicate required texture in the drawing. I've NEVER seen someone actually physically model a texture for a molded/stamped part.

One typically calls out the SPI or SPE standard in the print to dicate desired mold finish for injection molded parts. Or talk to your fabricator to discuss a suitable drawing callout to get the desired texture.

Never seen a "stamped steel" part with a "stone" finish though.. Are you sure this "finish" isn't just a wrinkle/textured powdercoat applied after fabrication or something like that. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

Contributor
Ross33
Message 5 of 7 (1,508 Views)

05-15-2012 04:17 PM in reply to: mcgyvr

Yeah, it is a unique situation, hence the trouble I've had trying to model the component.

Thanks.

Distinguished Mentor
Message 6 of 7 (1,494 Views)

05-16-2012 04:46 AM in reply to: Ross33

I have no idea what you doing so this is truely a shot in the dark

In Rhino (download the trial if you don't have Rhino) open the texture bitmap

Use heightfield to create a surface based on the bitmap's changes in grayscale

See if you can use the resultant surface in IV

Contributor
Ross33
Message 7 of 7 (1,483 Views)

05-16-2012 04:00 PM in reply to: rdyson

Yep, I'm thinking that nurbs will be my only hope here.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube