Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor surface textures

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Ross33
8275 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor surface textures

Hi,

I have modelled a component in Inventor ready for tooling. The component is modelled as an Inventor Part, but in reality is to be pressed steel. I have now been asked to add a textured finish to the product. The texture is stone. My plan is to roll back the features to prior to my shell operation, add the texture details (probably a combinations of adding and subtracting material), then rolling forward the features.

My question is, is there a good method of adding such a texture?! I've tried through sweeps etc, but they all look very sunthetic and not at all natural or "real". I've also spent the good part of the day trying to find a way to bring the file through 3ds max and to mudbox to sculpt, but this is also proving troublesome... and I certainly don't like the idea of bringing a non-adaptive/parametric model back to inventor.

Any help would be great.

Throw some ideas out there and hopefully something will work!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: Ross33

Just create a new color style and add a "stone" texture map or bump map to that color style. Then apply that color style to the part. No need to model a texture.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
Ross33
in reply to: mcgyvr

Sorry mate, but I need a physical texture in the surface as it will eventually dictate the tooling process.

Message 4 of 7
mcgyvr

@Ross33 wrote:

Sorry mate, but I need a physical texture in the surface as it will eventually dictate the tooling process.

It is common practice to simply indicate required texture in the drawing. I've NEVER seen someone actually physically model a texture for a molded/stamped part.

One typically calls out the SPI or SPE standard in the print to dicate desired mold finish for injection molded parts. Or talk to your fabricator to discuss a suitable drawing callout to get the desired texture.

Never seen a "stamped steel" part with a "stone" finish though.. Are you sure this "finish" isn't just a wrinkle/textured powdercoat applied after fabrication or something like that. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 7
Ross33
in reply to: mcgyvr

Yeah, it is a unique situation, hence the trouble I've had trying to model the component.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 7
rdyson

I have no idea what you doing so this is truely a shot in the dark

In Rhino (download the trial if you don't have Rhino) open the texture bitmap

Use heightfield to create a surface based on the bitmap's changes in grayscale

See if you can use the resultant surface in IV

PDSU 2016
Message 7 of 7
Ross33
in reply to: rdyson

Yep, I'm thinking that nurbs will be my only hope here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report