Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor on a Virtual Computer

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
rjezuit
3494 Views, 14 Replies

Inventor on a Virtual Computer

Our IT manager believes that CAD (Inventor) can be run just as well on a virtual machine (little black box) as it can  on a desktop system with sufficient power. The virtual machine is a keyboard, mouse and  monitor along with a little black box that connects you to the virtual server. Anyone have any experience with this or thoughts? Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
stephengibson76
in reply to: rjezuit

breaks the EULA

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 3 of 15
rjezuit
in reply to: stephengibson76

We have multiple site/corporate licenses and probably the ability to get ADSK to create some sort of licensing that can make this work. I am looking at is it technically feasible.

Message 4 of 15
stephengibson76

perfectly workable, although it also breaks the EUALA remote desktop windows 7 on a decent internet connection is ok, windows 8 remote desktop even better, virtulaization over a reasnable network, you wont notice the difference from the real thing

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 5 of 15
rjezuit

I wonder how they get around the graphics limitation. How do you put a powerful graphics card in a little black box?

Message 6 of 15
blair

Possibly you CAD manager may want to look at Fusion360. It's cloud based and will run a a iPad is need be. All your files will be Cloud based as well though.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 15
TravisNave

360 is a good choice indeed.  Otherwise, to stay within the EULA as stated above, you might consider Citrix and network licensing.  That would be appropriate.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 8 of 15
LT.Rusty

@rjezuit wrote:

Our IT manager believes that CAD (Inventor) can be run just as well on a virtual machine (little black box) as it can  on a desktop system with sufficient power. The virtual machine is a keyboard, mouse and  monitor along with a little black box that connects you to the virtual server. Anyone have any experience with this or thoughts? Thanks

There's at least one company out there that's offering this service.  They're using VMWare to do it, and you can either use client software or buy a zero client from them.  Your work will be housed on their servers, and you will access it remotely.

I'm not going to name the company, and I'm not going to give hints or clues, but I'll just tell you right now that the service was absolutely terrible.  Really, truly, completely awful.

We had several demo machines to work with.  There were at least two that were virtual machines, and at least two that were dedicated workstations.  The virtual machines were completely unusable for anything more than spreadsheets and MS Word, and even then the lag (their server is about 2000 miles away from my location) made it so that I could easily type 8-10 words ahead of what showed on the screen.  The dedicated workstations were better than the virtual machines, but still terrible.  I compare it to driving a Formula 1 car with a 3-second lag for all visual and control inputs.

The vendor was also projecting that we would need - minimum - a T1 at each desk, whether it was the sales guys using Excel or the engineers using Inventor.  Because we have, right now, a dual T1 line for our facility, this would entail adding 40 or 50 T1's. 

One of the big selling points of the service is that you can work outside of the office.  This was found to be completely not the case.  I personally field-tested the service from 4 different hotels, 8 different Starbucks, and 4 different airports.  It was absolutely unusable at any of those locations.

In short, It may be a great idea, but it's NOT one that's really workable at the present time.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
mslosar

I'd say it's also heavily dependant on how many machines they want to run virtually. If you're trying to get an small office group of 10 users to simulateously work on inventor at 10 terminals (i.e. 10 open sessions), that's going to have to be one helluva server to allocate full inventor resources for 10 sessions. God forbid everyone hit refresh at once 🙂

For once machine, it probably would be fine. More than that, i'd think your returns would diminish exponentially.

The other issue as brought up is the video card. Inventor requires a good to great card in order to function smoothly (depening on your assembly size/complexity). Not sure how a server is going to accelerate 10 or more screens simultaneously and send constantly updating 1920x1200 (or larger) screens to multiple machines without hammering your network either. I suppose it's possible on a fixed system, but thats still a lot of bandwidth getting sucked down to have everyone rotate objects at once.

Message 10 of 15
tmchenry

Caveat:  I'm not an expert in the virtualization field, but my wife works for one of the leading companies, so I have picked up a bit by osmosis.  The graphics card problem seems to be addressed by handling the graphics processing on the server, then encoding the transmitted data using a variety of different protocols and data compression algorithms, dynamically optimized in real time.  Bottom line:  the hardware at the user end does not need to have high-end graphics capability.

Message 11 of 15
blair
in reply to: tmchenry

The high-end graphics has to be somewhere, it's bad enough running IV on a workstation with high end graphics for a single user. As a previous post, it would have to be one "mother" of a server to handle graphics for a number of users.

Let alone any compression for distribution on the network.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 15
tmchenry
in reply to: blair

"As a previous post, it would have to be one "mother" of a server to handle graphics for a number of users."

It sounds like you're conceiving of graphics management as an additive set of tasks, but I doubt that it is.  I'm sure that if you tracked the operations of a single graphics card of a single CAD user you would find that it's extrememly peaky.  That means that one card is probably capable of handling the requirements of quite a few users with no discernable loss in performance.

But, yes, in general I expect that you do need pretty good servers to run a virtualization environment.

Message 13 of 15
rjezuit

I have a descent mid range graphics card in my system with a gig of DDR RAM, and it is still the bottleneck in my system.

Message 14 of 15
blair

Maybe for some users working on single parts or very small assemblies. Throw in some rendering that can take 30 minutes along with FEA that can take over 30 minutes. Everyone else gets an extended coffee break. I bring my system to it's knees almost every day.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 15
LT.Rusty
in reply to: blair

@Blair wrote:

Maybe for some users working on single parts or very small assemblies. Throw in some rendering that can take 30 minutes along with FEA that can take over 30 minutes. Everyone else gets an extended coffee break. I bring my system to it's knees almost every day.

When we did our evaluation, the virtual machines were utter crap.  They were completely unusable on a machine level, rather than just being a connectivity issue.  We had to get dedicated individual machines.  Once we had access to a dedicated 6-core Xeon with a 2GB graphics card the machine performance was resolved, but we still had massive lag due to a 4,000 mile trip from my keyboard / mouse / spacepilot to the workstation and back to my monitor.  It was just terrible.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report