Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor models

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
helavagal
249 Views, 2 Replies

Inventor models

I think I have a tough one for you to help me ponder.  In Revit and other programs - you can use external references in the model to make it faster and not affect the sheets that were generated from that model.  We are using Inventor 2012 and the customer came back and said they wanted to add parts to the outside of the master model to detail out for th shops.  Bad news is if we do that then hundreds of shop drawings will need to be edited to remove the insulation we need to add in.  Vault is not allowing us to take the master model and putting the insulation on in a way that will not add hundreds of hours that will be pure cleanup in the project.

My question is - can you all think of a way that we could do an external link or reference so that (a) it will make regen time faster on this model and (b) not add so much time to the already generated sheets that it would be cost prohibitive?

Thank you all so muc for your imput....

Angela

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
blair
in reply to: helavagal

The first process that comes to mind is using View-Reps. This will allow you to suppress the Insulation in required views. This will allow you to create separate drawing views for each view rep.

We use this for our air line and hydraulic drawings. We create separate View-Reps with everything but the air line and hydraulic lines suppressed in the View-Rep. Then we create a new drawing using that View-Rep.

Since it's a new View-Rep it won't change your existing drawing views that are based on the Master View-Rep.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 3
helavagal
in reply to: blair

That came to our minds too - but since this is 2012 - it wants to save what we turn on or off back to the master model and so when someone else goes into the model - those items will not be visible. Since the file is on vault - we have to detach the master model each time we check it back into the vault.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report