Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor model to 3ds Max as single mesh

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
snyder275
809 Views, 3 Replies

Inventor model to 3ds Max as single mesh

I have been trying to import a model from Inventor Professional 2014 into 3ds Max Design 2014.

My goal is the end result being a single, complete (connected) mesh composed of quads. I need to be able to convert it to an Editable Poly so I can use modifiers such as Slice and Cap Holes on the imported part.

Importing the .ipt file as a mesh results in disconnected sections throughout the model. As a simple example, if I created a tube/cylinder in Inventor, once imported into Max the inner diameter, outer diameter and ends of the pipe are all seperate, triangulated meshes. I can convert the mesh into an Editable Poly, select all polys and Quadrify All to make the mesh into quads but it is never a clean result and the elements are still seperated which would require vertex welding to fix. The models I am importing contain much higher detail than a simple tube and welding all the vertices would be too time consuming. 

The closest I've come to having a mesh in Max that is one complete piece is using an STL format for import but the poly mesh is still really ugly. If anyone has experience or a proven work flow to avoid triangulated meshes that import as complete/connected/welded etc. surfaces I would be forever grateful. 

I've attached a crappy, simple example of my dilema. The models I'm actually dealing with are similar in that they are cylindrical (piping) but contain extrusions, slots, bevels, etc. 

SUMMARY: I need a method to import a model from Inventor into Max with the end result being a single poly mesh, non-triangulated, with elements that are NOT seperate. In short, an Editable Poly for use with modifiers. 

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mike
in reply to: snyder275

I too would be very interested if there is a solution, or perhaps I should say an easier solution to this question. From what I have experienced the current "BEST" solution is to re-create a New Mesh in 3DS max using the Inventor Mesh as a template or guide. Has anyone else found an easier solution? One would think it should be Not easy, but given the sophistication of software these days there should be some simple way to take high res CAD Models and quadify them cleanly.. maybe? (He said hopefully)

Regards,

Michael

Message 3 of 4
BarryZA
in reply to: mike

MAX2.jpg

This is what I can push out from inside Inventor as I have the Product Design Suite Installed. Either way I will watch this thread as a new guy is starting next week, he works in Max and will be rendering off my Inventor models.

Message 4 of 4
snyder275
in reply to: BarryZA

Mike,

I agree. If a truly quadrified mesh is what you need, there is not substitute for modeling it in Max.

BarryZA,

I have Product Design Suite as well and, since originally posting the question, I've settled on a workflow that isn't perfect but works well enough:

Using the Suite Workflows I export to '3ds Max Design as Solids'

Within the Workflow Settings Editor window that pops up:

- Import as Body Object (will explain benefits below)

- Turn off Reference Duplicate Parts (sometimes this duplicates the assembly as many times as there are total parts, e.g. 20 parts x 20 duplicates each = 400 parts) This might just be a personal issue.

- I turn off Create Layers by Materia

- Change the File Vertical Direction to Z-axis to match Max's world coordinate system

This brings in Solid Body representations of the parts in Max. For further reading - Body Objects

I've found the solid body option has an advantage over importing to Max as meshes. You can change the level of detail with the Coarse/Medium/High buttons in the Modify tab. Coarse drops vert count and gives a really low resolution option for objects further away from camera. Medium and High do as the names imply. It's akin to establishing LODs in video games. You can also switch between the curves-based display of the solid body and the mesh-based view (no change to vert count).

Keep in mind that if you add an Edit Poly modifier or convert to one, the elements of the object will not behave as one cohesive mesh. By 'elements' I mean where you might expect to find changes in smoothing groups I guess. Hard to describe. You would then have to add a Vertex Weld modifier with an appropriate threshold or manually go thru and weld as needed. And even more laborious is the task of coverting the mesh to quads. As far as I know there isn't an easy option - cross fingers, Quadrify mesh and clean up everything that remains as tris. Better yet, do like Mike said with Inventor object as reference. 

I've lucked out and haven't needed to remodel much. That being said, the ones I have remodeled have vastly more optimized meshes and can actually work with Slice/Cap holes modifiers. Seems Inventor works 'under the hood' with triangulated meshes exclusively. The only other option I can think of is third party retopologizing stuff - TopoGun, ZBrush, Mudbox etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report