Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor missing Files

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
DirthSj
4209 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor missing Files

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 (EDUCATIONAL INSTSITUTION VERSION)

Failed to find a bunch of files, including the templates for creating new files.  The files missing (that i know of) relate to creating holes.
The screen for creating a new file is shown in the attached image.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: DirthSj

Is this a new problem (did it use to work or is this a new install and it never worked)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
DirthSj
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, this has been installed for several months now, this is a new problem.

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

Has someone deleted or moved the files?

I think there might actually be another location on the HDD.

Search on GOST.idw and if a file with this name is found - look in that location for the other template files.

Why do you think this is related to creation of holes?

Also, I haven't verified this, but I think if you use this method of creating a new file - the templates are rebuilt even if they don't exist. (see image)

New File.png

Since this is a new problem, you might try a simple Repair Install from the Control Panel.

Once you get it working create a Windows Restore Point.  (although not sure that would help in this case)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 8
DirthSj

Someone could have deleted or moved the files, it is on a school computer. I will check with my teacher next class period (we had a substitute today) and see if he can fix it knowing that. The create file thing does work, that solves the major problem for me.
Message 6 of 8
DirthSj

Also, I don't think its directly related to the creation of holes, but when I was trying to create holes it was throwing up errors something like: "Unable to Locate File \Users\Public....\Filename"
Message 7 of 8
JDMather

@DirthSj wrote:
...The create file thing does work, that solves the major problem for me.

Thanks for the feedback on that.  I wasn't sure, now I know in the future that I can recommend that as a "solution".

Make sure the intended Units are correct.

(enter a sketch dimension and see what units are automatically assigned by Inventor.  If the units are not correct go to Tools>Document Settings and set to the desired units.

Message 8 of 8
DirthSj

Update: fixed it by simply copying the files from another computer's directory. C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report