Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor idw to Acad dwg export - parts to blocks

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
karthur1
1993 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor idw to Acad dwg export - parts to blocks

Looking for a way to do something, but as far as I know, Inventor can't do this, but I will ask anyway.

Say you have an idw of an assembly, is there a way to export this idw to Acad dwg format, then when the drawing is opened in ACAD, the parts in the assembly are converted to ACAD blocks in each view?

So if you have a model of say, a car in inventor.  You have parts named like Hood, Motor, Right door....etc. in the assembly and you put all this on an idw with three view (top, front, right side) and export this to ACAD dwg format.  Now, when you open the model in ACAD, there are blocks in each view.  So in the right view, there would be Hood_Right side, Motor_Right side, Right door_Right side...etc.

Right now, when you save the idw to dwg format, it is just lines and circles.

Thanks,

Kirk A.

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
Intel i7-930 @ 3.60ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2015, (update 1)
Vault Pro 2015

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi  karthur1,

I'm not sure it's exactly what you're after, but you xan save your IDW as an Inventor DWG using the Save As option (not Save Copy As).

Then the views are saved in the DWG file as blocks. So if you as an Inventor DWG with a top, front and side view of a part named Hood.ipt, then you would end up with those three blocks in the DWG. You could then use Design Center in AutoCAD to insert the blocks, or just use the Insert command.

As for an assembly, it would be the same. If you had 3 views of an assembly, you'd get three blocks of those views. But it would not break the assemblies views out into part blocks.

A related link:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Inserting-Views-into-Model-Space/m-p/3441077#M433480

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 5
4donwan4
in reply to: karthur1

Not sure if what Curtis outlied will work for you or not, but it would be the only option at this time. If it doesn't work for you then consider adding what you are looking for in the Ideas forum for it to be considered for a future release of Inventor.

Regards,

Don

Message 4 of 5

Curtis,

I have used that workflow before.  I am wanting the parts in each view to be converted to there own individual acad blocks.  Inventor already knows the part that each line/circle belongs to, so I dont see why it could not be done.  If there are three views on the sheet, you would end up with a "Part A_Front", "Part A_side" and "Part A_Top".  Same thing for "Part B", "Part C"....etc.

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 5 of 5
lllarcelo2010
in reply to: karthur1

Try to create one unique folder in the browser, move all components to it. 

After this export to a AutoCAD DWG file . 

This process wil create many groups.

Maybe this works for you too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report