Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor content centre

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jacoj
1689 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor content centre

hi All,

im the CAD Admin in a large CAD office.

I want get your guys profesional input Smiley Happy

I want to be able to firstly create a custom favourite library in the CC, and get rid off all the stuff we dont use in the office, and then share that customised CC library to my co workers as favourites , we are Using Vault WG 2013, can we share it in the vault or make it part of our server console, so I dont need to do this on every single machine?

secondly, I want to be able to customise the way the frame generator naming is getting created as default, there are way to many frame0001 and skeleton0001 in my vault.

and the users is reluctant to change this manually, ....

ie WVT-SANS-L-60 x 60-001.ipt as a default for angles.

and last, I want to know if I have custom memebers like this, and need to do a copy design in vault,  do I rather re use the or Do I copy it, what is the best practise?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: jacoj

@jacoj wrote:

hi All,

im the CAD Admin in a large CAD office.

I want get your guys profesional input Smiley Happy

I want to be able to firstly create a custom favourite library in the CC, and get rid off all the stuff we dont use in the office, and then share that customised CC library to my co workers as favourites , we are Using Vault WG 2013, can we share it in the vault or make it part of our server console, so I dont need to do this on every single machine?

secondly, I want to be able to customise the way the frame generator naming is getting created as default, there are way to many frame0001 and skeleton0001 in my vault.

and the users is reluctant to change this manually, ....

ie WVT-SANS-L-60 x 60-001.ipt as a default for angles.

and last, I want to know if I have custom memebers like this, and need to do a copy design in vault,  do I rather re use the or Do I copy it, what is the best practise?

Hey jacoj,

When you say favorites library, are you referring to the CC library itself, or favorites folders within a library?  If you mean the library itself, yes, you can set Inventor to use Vault for the Content Center.  You create the library or libraries form the Vault server ADMS application.  Now I am not familiar with Vault WG, I use Professional... so it may be different on your end.

Here are some of the things you'll need to set:

cc1.JPG

cc3.JPG

Obviously your location would be different... this is a shared drive on our network.

cc3.JPG

This should set the Library up so that everyone has the same Content.  You can also create or use the existing "Standards" in the CC to further narrow what you see.  For example, I set all of our customized FG families in the CC to a standard called Powell.  Now in FG when I am placing steel, I select that standard from the Inventor pull down and only the steel profiles that I have customized with our Part Numbers etc, become available for placement.

Now... onto that part of your question:

The Frame0001 and skelton0001... I'm afraid there is no way to set these by default... but you can rename them as they are being created.  In the image here, make sure the highlighted boxes are checked.  Also note the highlighted standards pulldown I mentioned above.

cc4.JPG

If the "prompt for file name" is checked, you can name these setup files anything you want.  I tend to prefix them with the job number.  That way, later, when I do a copy design I have a string I can "find and replace" that makes renaming them for the new job that much easier.  The same is true for each frame member you place.  It's a lot of file naming, but later you'll be happy you did it.

cc5.JPG

I placed an idea in the Idea Station to allow some sort of FG setup that will allow you to add a prefix automatically to each piece of steel, something you would set once and each new frame member would follow the pattern.  The idea has been accepted, but I have no idea when it will be implemented or what it will look like... so watch for that in the future.

Sorry for the long response... did I cover everything?

Message 3 of 8
Cadmanto

First question in regards to the CC.  We are in the process of doing something similar to what you are looking to do except we have been instructed and advised not to delete ANYTHING from the out of the box CC.  Rather, create a new folder within the CC and copy only the items from the CC into this folder and change according to what meets your companys requirements.  I started a document that explains how to do this.  See the attachment.

Question two, I would look into using numbering schemes within vault.  That is what we use and all of our new parts (including the frame generator) use this.

Question three, when it comes to copy design of an FG assembly?  I wouldn't do it.  FG can be complicated depending on how detailed your creation is.  I would maybe copy the base sketch, and create from there, but not the entire assembly.

Hope this helps.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: Cadmanto

I have to respectfully disagree with Scott on re-using Frames.  I do it all the time.  I use Vault Copy Design, and as long as I have put the job number or some form of distinct file naming scheme, I can do a "find and replace" on the file names in Copy Design.  Yes, depending on the complexity of your design, you may have to do some rework... but copying an existing frame can save a lot of time.

Different methods for different people.  Like most things in our line of work... there is no one right way to do some things.  You just have to figure out what works best for you.

Good hunting!

AutoCAD 2013; AuoCAD Electrical 2013; IV 2013 Professional: Tube and Pipe, Frame Generator, Content Center; Vault Professional 2013: Client, ECO

My Blog, pretty weak I know, but I'm just getting started. 😄
http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

Twitter handle: @CGBenner
Linkedin:http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=174967385&trk=tab_pro

Message 5 of 8
Cadmanto
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

You are allowed my friend.  That is what makes this thread go round and round.  Smiley Very Happy

I just based my opinion on my expierence.  Like you said (and I agree) the OP ahs to deciode what works best for him and determine his own opinion.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 8
jacoj
in reply to: cbenner

Hi Chris.

yes If I mean favourites , I mean I want my users favourites to be axacly like mine as in the imange..

Jaco

Message 7 of 8
jacoj

Hi Scott,

for some reason Inventor doesnt allow me to copy the content to another folder but only allow me to sent to favourites,

Am i Mising soething?

Message 8 of 8
Cadmanto

Did you follow the instruction in the document I attached in my last posting?  Plus what Chris outlined for you in creating a new folder within the CC?

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report