Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor bug in fillet welds

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
RuudB.
2996 Views, 20 Replies

Inventor bug in fillet welds

Hello,

I am having a problem in the weldment environment with inventor 2011.

In 2010 i could do just about everything i wanted, and it always worked perfectly, but now in 2011 we have on 3 computers and 2 models a problem, so this is not a problem for one machine or model.

Ok so whats up,

When i make certain preparations, such as move face or chamfers in the weldment assembly, the fillet welds i have allready made give the an error. It sais " Weld compute failed due to a modelling error" and " The weldbead operation did not produce a meaningfull result" . This while i'm doing nothing wrong, or different than i did in 2010.

If i accept this it's immediately impossible to save the assembly. Also after accepting it's not possible to place fillet welds in any assembly at all, doesn't matter how simple i make it.

Please help me out, or we have to consider to stop using the weldment environment, which would be a really big pity. Because it did work well. Now with our new project going back to 2010 is not an option unfortunately.

BTW

We use inventor 64 bit

Greetings,

Ruud Bakker.

Netherlands.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
BMiller63
in reply to: RuudB.

need some basic information:

Operating System?

Inventor 2011 Service packs?

Can you provide an example that demonstrates the behavior you describe?

Message 3 of 21
RuudB.
in reply to: BMiller63

product information inventor

Build 239 Release 2011 RTM

We have tried the model with and without Service pack, i have the computer without a service pack.

Operating system windows 7 64bit

I don't have an example to put on a public forum, i can only give this information to autodesk.

Extra info, though this doesn't influence the situation, tested on a Dell with 64 bit system and 20 gyg Ram memory or something.

My pc is

HP Z600 workstation

Intel Xeon E5630

RAM 10 Gyg, must be ddr3

Graphics card Nvidia Quaddro i though 4400 but not sure about that one.

Message 4 of 21
BMiller63

@RuudB. wrote:

product information inventor

Extra info, though this doesn't influence the situation, tested on a Dell with 64 bit system and 20 gyg

the "extra" info allows others to help you troubleshoot.

so would an example file.

can you not model up a simple non-proprietary example that you can share with others?

if not, there's not much for anyone to go on in an attempt to reproduce the error.

best of luck either way.

Message 5 of 21
RuudB.

Maybe i can try tomorrow to make  file where the problem occurs. But can't garrantee it. Ik weld in big assembly's so thats where i have the trouble. But ill give it a shot tomorrow. I want to put my model on the internet to solve the problem, but its not an option because it's the product we sell.

thanx so far

Ruud.

Message 6 of 21
HenrikGraversen

Hi Ruud

I don't have a solution for you.

But i have this problem to. But only some days. Very strange. I got this model with some simpel fillet welds, and they works fine. But some days, they give the same error you get. I need to delete them. Can't make them again right away, but i can make them later. Only tried a few days later with success. But now. Today. i got the problem again. Didn’t change anything at all in the area of the welds.

This sucks!

Attached is a picture of a good day 🙂

Henrik Graversen

Inventor 2011 Pro SP1

HP8710w 32bit

Message 7 of 21
RuudB.
in reply to: HenrikGraversen

It's definately a big problem for me aswell. I have an excavator boom in my model, and rebuilding the welds all the time is a really time consuming job. Im very busy at my work, so making a simple model with the same error in it, well i haven't got the time for it. I just hope somebody from Autodesk can reply so i can send him/her the model i have right now. Than they can see my / (now our) problem.

Message 8 of 21
yannick3

Hi

Here, the same issue and it's log in to autodesk inventor issue database #1337039

Maybe this will be resolve in the next SP

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 9 of 21
RuudB.
in reply to: yannick3

Allright, well that is some good news. Thank you for that.

Can somebody from Autodesk confirm this, and maybe give some status updates about the progress of the solution / when the planning is that the service pack is released?

If there is a Beta version which should solve this problem, i am willing to test it and give info if the problem is solved.

Message 10 of 21
jgassman

Ruud,

I've been having similar problems in the welding environment as well with IV2011. Groove welds were giving me a problem on a weldment I was creating. Every time I tried to create a groove weld with preparations around a simple box with 4 sides the weld would fail. ( It worked fine in IV2010) If by chance I was able to create the weld by making each side of the weld at a time, then the weld would complete but I was no long able to save the model. IV2011 would give me some gibberish about the model data set being corrupt. After testing on many different and identical PC's, the problem seems to be that the path I was using was too long. I had too many folders leading up to the weldment folder. So I created a folder off the C:\  and a new project file and created the weldment in there. So far it seems to have worked. Hopefully this work around will help you with your weldment issues.

Jason Gassman

Message 11 of 21
RuudB.
in reply to: jgassman

Hi Jason,

Our folder hierarchy is quite allright, somebody from our autodesk dealer confirmed that when he was at our compagny, so (unfortunately) that is not yet the solution for our problem. 🙂

Ruud. 

Message 12 of 21
Vitornis

I am also having random modeling errors with welds. All of my welds were working just fine, then one day most of them started giving modeling errors. Funney thing is that i haven't made any changes to my part.

Message 13 of 21
RuudB.
in reply to: Vitornis

Via an other way i got news concerning this problem, at least my problem, yours sounds the same. Autodesk atmitted there is a bug, and is working on a fix..

Message 14 of 21
signmeup

The question is how could they not spot this problem before release? I noticed it within a short time of using Inventor 2011. The weld shape displays ok in the preview but it does not let it become a weld. Once again, Autodesk cannot get the simple things right.

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
Message 15 of 21
miechh

Same problem here. Just two plates welded together perpendicularly, fillet weld shows preview correctly, pressing Apply or OK results in error message. Closed the assembly and Inventor, restarted Inventor, opened the assembly and tried the same fillet weld --> no problem....Man Surprised

Product Design Suite 2024
Inventor 2024 (v 28.20.27200.0000), Vault Basic 2024
Fusion 360
HP Workstation Z4
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Message 16 of 21
signmeup
in reply to: miechh

trouble is you could do a bunch of welds, make some change that means a weld update, and they will all disappear into errorworld. when will this be fixed? is this commercial software or an opensource project?

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
Message 17 of 21
amministrazione

I've the same problem with INV2011 ITALIAN sp2. I hope there will be a great solution early

Tags (2)
Message 18 of 21
signmeup
in reply to: amministrazione

The solution is you pay to get 2012 to fix the broken software. It's like buying a car that doesn't have working brakes but instead of fixing the brakes you have to buy a new car. The new car has brakes that work but the steering wheel is now square instead of round, it has better cornering but lower mpg. And the satnav still tries to drive you off a cliff. Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 21
bralick1221

I have attached two images that are not completing the weld using the groove weld in inventor 2016. Any solutions for this. 

Message 20 of 21
karthur1
in reply to: bralick1221

Not sure.  Make sure that you have applied the all the service packs for your version of Inventor.  I know there were some weld issues for 2017 that were corrected with in one of the SP's.  You also may want to start your on thread on this issue.

Can you replicate this with another simple weldment that you can post here?

Kirk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report