Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Viewe 2013 does not update drawing?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mucip
651 Views, 10 Replies

Inventor Viewe 2013 does not update drawing?

Hi,

Imagine, You changed some feature of the part but you didn't open the drawing. And you tryed to open drawing by the InventorViewer. In this case drawing file comes to Viewer with old state...

This is really big problem. You need to open all drawings once to update all drawings.

Any solution?...

Regards,

Mucip:)

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
bob_holland
in reply to: mucip

mucip

This is as Inventor is designed.

Until you tell Inventor to update your IDW/DWG it does not know to update it.

Do you want to update all IAM, IPN and IDW/DWGs that reference this part?

Saving this part refreshing all designs and documents that reference this part could be a time consuming task.

Do others on the forum have a solution for mucip?

Good luck.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 3 of 11
mucip
in reply to: bob_holland

Dear Bob,

Thanks for replay. I found below API solution with VB Express 2010. I just wrote it and will try tomorrow.

Dim oRefDocs As DocumentsEnumerator
oRefDocs = asmDoc.AllReferencedDocuments
Dim invDocument As Document

Dim drawDoc As Inventor.DrawingDocument

Dim Salla As String
Me.Cursor = System.Windows.Forms.Cursors.WaitCursor

For Each invDocument In oRefDocs
Salla = FilePath(invDocument.FullFileName) + "\" + BaseFilename(invDocument.FullFileName) + ".idw"

If IO.File.Exists(Salla) Then
drawDoc = inv_App.Documents.Open(Salla)
drawDoc.Update2(True)
drawDoc.Save2(True)
drawDoc.Close(True)
End If

Next

Above code I will get all the referenced files in Assembly. If referenced file has IDW in same folder than I open it and save again... 

I think this will be solution for me. Ofcourse it will take time when I run it...

Any better solution?...

Regards,

Message 4 of 11
mrattray

I think VB code making use of Inventor apprentice (what you're doing) is your best option.
Good luck. If you run into issues with the programming there is a wealth of information available on the Inventor Customization forum.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 11
mucip
in reply to: mrattray

Hi,

Yes but in any case Inventor Viewer should update itself when I try to open any idw of the part... I think there is something wrong here?!...

Regards,

Message 6 of 11
mrattray

@mucip wrote:

Yes but in any case Inventor Viewer should update itself when I try to open any idw of the part... I think there is something wrong here?!...

This is incorrect. Inventor Viewer does exactly what it says: it views. Updating the drawing requires opening Inventor proper (or apprentice, which is pretty much a minimalized version with no GUI).

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 11
mucip

Hi,

I do not think so! You say "Just view...". OK. If it Views wrong drawing or model so what will we do with Viewer?!... 

Is it just for showing un-updated drawing?!... How will I trust Viewer than?...

In my opinion this is not correct!. Yes it's free but it must update but just update! Not more... 

Regards,

Message 8 of 11
mrattray

@mucip wrote:

Hi,

I do not think so! You say "Just view...". OK. If it Views wrong drawing or model so what will we do with Viewer?!... 

Is it just for showing un-updated drawing?!... How will I trust Viewer than?...

In my opinion this is not correct!. Yes it's free but it must update but just update! Not more... 

Regards,

This is no different than most software packages; not just CAD, either. Even Adobe Reader works this way. Updating is an edit, and edits are not allowed with a viewer. Updating drawings is a chore that all design houses have to deal with. It's just a part of life.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 11
mucip

OK. Nothing to do. Than we need to find extra shortcut to find out solution like API etc...

Regards,
Message 10 of 11
mrattray

It seemed to me like you had a pretty good solution in the VB code you posted earlier in the thread. Does this not work for you?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 11
mucip

Hi,

Yes. I tried it. Works good... 🙂 But it takes time ofcourse...

Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report