Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor View 2013 Error "Not a valid win32 application"

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mikew
1354 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor View 2013 Error "Not a valid win32 application"

I'm trying to install the latest Inventor View on all of the computers at work and keep getting this error. The program installs fine, opens fine, but I can't set it as a default program to open .IDW, .IPT, and .IAM files. When I do I end up with the error "not a valid win32 application".

The computers are running the 32-bit version of XP, and Inventor View 2012 works fine on all of them (after doing the DtDv install trick).

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Also, while we are talking about Inventor View, is there ANY reason at all why it isn't combined with TrueView??? Seems like such a hassle to have two programs doing basically the same thing, with TrueView being MUCH more functional.

Thanks,

Mike

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mikew
in reply to: mikew

Anyone have any thing I can try for this? I would like to get it working so they quit bugging me about 2013 files not working on the 2012 viewer. None of them want anything to do with opening the program first I guess, ha.

Message 3 of 5
dave.anderson

The Inventor file format changes in each release so you cannot open Inventor 2013 files in 2012 and the same applies to Inventor View.

If the systems you install Inventor View on have multiple versions installed, the "Last Run" version will be what opens when/if you double-click on an Inventor file.

Where you installed Inventor View from may also come into play. In older versions, users would install from the Design Assistant folder on the Inventor media. This is not recommended. Install the solo version of Inventor View from http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=18585712.

Dave Anderson
Sr. Support Engineer– CAM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 5
mikew
in reply to: dave.anderson

I uninstalled 2012 before installing 2013 on their computers, and used the solo version. 2012 and 2011 both worked fine on the computers, other than having to install the DtDv file. It's only a problem on the older computers. It's on at least three computers that are running Windows 7 and works fine with those.

All the older computers have the same problem though. If I open Inventor View then open the file from in the program, it works. If I set it as the default program and try to get the program to start by clicking on the file I get the "Not a valid win32 application" error. I know technically it's still working, but I would like to make it as easy as possible for them to open files.

Thanks for the reply.

Message 5 of 5
mikew

Can anyone help me on this? I have it installed on 5 different XP machines, all 32-bit and on Service Pack 3, and all of them have the same problem (well, one crashes freezes the program when you go to open a file from within Inventor View).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report